Backing up transaction log right before full backup - any benefits?

• Is there any advantage to backing up the transaction log right before creating a full backup? I am picturing two sequential steps within one maintenance plan. This would supplement the existing scheduled transaction log backups, not replace it.

• Nothing wrong with doing a t-log backup prior to a full backup. It will truncate the t-log reducing the amount the t-log that may need to be backed up during the full backup to ensure a consistent state.

• As Lynn stated - nothing wrong with it. For me, it would depend on how often I am running the tlog backups and when the full backup is scheduled.

If I am running tlog backups every 15 minutes - there really is no reason to run an extra one.

If I am running every hour (on the hour), and my backup is scheduled to start on the half-hour - then, maybe.

If I am running every four hours (on the hour beginning at 12:00), the backup is scheduled at 2am - then I could see including another tlog.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply