AWE not working on one server.....user rights???

• Hey guys (and gals),

We've got a lot of SQL 2000 Ent. Ed. servers configured for and running AWE successfully, but today we were asked to make another SQL 2000 EE server AWE enabled.

So, as we did the previous configurations, I performed the following steps:

1) Installed SQL SP4 Hotfix for AWE (already had SP4 installed)

2) Using gpedit.msc, granted "Lock Pages in Memory" for the domain acct that runs SQLServer.exe; then ran the GPUPDATE /FORCE (this is a Windows 2003 Ent Server)

3) Bounced Server (/PAE is already on on all our 2003 Servers)

4) Using Query Analyzer, ran sp_configure to enable AWE and to set min and max server memory to 8Gb (15.8Gb available on this box)

5) Bounced Server

5) Restarted SQL Server over and over

And when it didn't work, I retried every one of those steps, and then in different orders, and going over and over and over all the settings, I'm at my wits end.

The only thing I see in the SQL Server Error Log each time I restart SQL is "Cannot use Address Windowing Extensions because lock memory privilege was not granted." and "Warning: unable to allocate 'min server memory' of 8096MB."

Again, the domain account that has the "Lock Pages in Memory" privilege also runs the SQL Server service on all the other servers, which were (at least as far as I can tell/remember) configured the same way. But it doesn't work on this one.

Has anyone ever seen this before?

Thanks,

-Patrick

Patrick Purviance, MCDBA
  • what is a RAM on your Windows 2003 Ent Server?

check

SQL Server only uses 2 GB of memory even though the AWE option is enabled

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811891

---

and

AWE Adventures

Regular Columnist : Joseph Sack

Posted: 12/15/2006 <----???

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/jsack/aweadventures.asp

• Just for posterity and to prove I'm human, I'll post the outcome.......

Turned out to be that this particular server was a Standard Edition and because we've got 108 SQL Servers here I overlooked it somehow. 

Thanks for all the good advice.  It was just plain old overlooking the obvious and missing the most basic requirement thinking it had to be complicated for it not to be working correctly.....

Patrick Purviance, MCDBA

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply