Autoshrink ON for ASPNET database

• For those of you who have aspnet database, is there ANY reason that AUTOSHRINK option woud be on for this particular database? our sharepoint database environment (sql 2005) has ASPNET db which I understand handles logins for .NEt applications. I understand we always should put AUTOSHRINK off. This specific environment was made by cunsultants and I don't have access to them at the moment until probably next week. Database is not very big, datafile is in full recovery mode and gets scheduled log backups, however log size has only %10 shrink availibility which worries me, Log size is only 500 KB

Thank you for any input

• Autoshrink is always a bad idea, so far as I can tell. Even Microsoft recommends against it, and they're the ones who made it available.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• I think this blog post pretty much says it all.

http://www.sqlskills.com/BLOGS/PAUL/post/Auto-shrink-e28093-turn-it-OFF!.aspx

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • For those of you who have aspnet database, is there ANY reason that AUTOSHRINK option woud be on for this particular database? our sharepoint database environment (sql 2005) has ASPNET db which I understand handles logins for .NEt applications. I understand we always should put AUTOSHRINK off.

I just checked mine and the default setup autoshrink is false so it is your developer running an ASPNETDB that is setup wrong so you could go to the location below and run the utility aspnet_regsql and have your own copy running when you talk to the consultants so both of you can get to the same version of what is an application service that will contain all your user information in that application.

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Gail,

Thank you as usual, it is interesting that I had read your other posting and the same link you had sent before posting this thread. It so happened that they had an emergency just yesterday and the consultant contacted, I have since talked to himi and changed auto shrink to OFF, even though it bothers me that I knew it was supposed to be off and I still had to ASK for politics.

Thank you,

Ellie

• Gift Peddie,

Thank you very much for the link, I changed autoshrink to off, but I will ask him to look over my shoulder while I run the version you sent me the link to,

Ellie

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply