Automating DTS (sql 2k)

• We have a project with 30 to 40 outside Lenders, each having their own data formats. I want to converrt these various formats to a common format but the conversion step is part of an automated process. (I won't be there to run the DTS job manually)

Is DTS the right type of toolfor this or is something like Data Junction or Biztalk more appropriate?

TIA,

Bill

• Depends, do you have DTS drivers for all the source systems? Or will they be providing you with csv's or something?

------------

Ray Higdon MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA

• Ray,

They will provide us will all needed text files (may include CSV, fixed field, XML). The problem is not getting the files but handling all the different formats once we get them.

Bill

• We have a similar situation to this.  For our situation I found the best option is using command line Bulk Insert inside a stored procedure.  It runs quicker and is easier to use.  You need to create a format file for each different layout you have, which is time consuming, but if you are dealing with 40 different layouts, anything you do is going to take time.

We used data junction for the longest time.  It is not the easiest program to use.  Especially when you compare it to DTS.

I think the real key to what you use is how complex the load is.  If you have to move files or the file names change, then using DTS and using VB Script is probably the best option.  For just straight importing files, Bulk Insert works the best for me.

• I agree DTS is easier and more intuitive (and more online support) than products like informatica or data junction

------------

Ray Higdon MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply