Attracting Talent

• I completely agree.

Cheers

• Rod at work (3/20/2012)

Gail, I've seen job postings like that, too, where such a person would be a superman/superwoman, if they knew well all of the skill sets listed. However, for me it has always put me off. I never apply for those jobs, because I don't have all of those skills. Honestly, I think that they're really interested in finding someone who can do all of that stuff, don't you? I mean, why put a huge laundry list of skills into a job listing, if you know a priori, that it will result in lots of people applying who will bs their way through the interview? It's either that, or they already have one person in mind they want for the job, and have asked him/her what all of their skills are, and then list all of those, hoping that at most they'll get only 1 other people applying.

A story: I had a friend that graduated chef school a long time ago. He took a local job as a sous chef and wanted to move up. The next year he saw a job with a cruise line that wanted an executive chef. He wasn't really qualified, not enough experience, though he was good at the work (both cooking and admin) and decided to apply.

He interviewed, meeting only a subset of the qualifications, and didn't get the job. However they were impressed with him and gave him the chef job for one of their boats (the exec chef was over chefs on 4 boats).

The majority of the time I've seen job postings, they're written by committee, often non-technical committee. People keep saying "it would be nice if they know xxx", so it gets added. However much of the time this laundry list is a window into their environment. It's not a requirement for what they need. Even if I only meet 80% of the required skills, I'd apply.

• That's good to know, Steve, thanks.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Truth be told, some IT guys are probably intimidated by the prospect of a new hire to the department who will be doing the same or similar job. They're afraid of being replaced. When asked by their manager what technologies they routinely use as part of their daily work, I think many IT guys will reply back with about 20 acronymns. They see all those tech acronymns in their job description as job security.

I personally don't think that way, and the real talented professionals wouldn't, but I can see how that thought process would take place for a lot of people.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell (3/21/2012)

I think one prerequisite for being a good DBA is know how to deal with cocky developers.

Oooohhh.... easy question for me. "A written set of managment approved and supported database and frontend standards, a large supply of frozen porkchops, and a triple-banded "Wrist Rocket" slingshot with extra forearm support." 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Eric M Russell (3/23/2012)

Truth be told, some IT guys are probably intimidated by the prospect of a new hire to the department who will be doing the same or similar job. They're afraid of being replaced. When asked by their manager what technologies they routinely use as part of their daily work, I think many IT guys will reply back with about 20 acronymns. They see all those tech acronymns in their job description as job security.

I personally don't think that way, and the real talented professionals wouldn't, but I can see how that thought process would take place for a lot of people.

A wise man once told me "Never let them know you are better than them until after you are hired"

Cheers

• Eric M Russell (3/23/2012)

Truth be told, some IT guys are probably intimidated by the prospect of a new hire to the department who will be doing the same or similar job. They're afraid of being replaced. When asked by their manager what technologies they routinely use as part of their daily work, I think many IT guys will reply back with about 20 acronymns. They see all those tech acronymns in their job description as job security.

I'm the kind of person that loves it when they bring in a heavy hitter. There's always something new to learn. But, you're correct... a lot of people look at it as a threat or an "invasion". They miss the opportunity to make themselves more valuable.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply