Asymetric Keys - Where are they? - DISCUSSION

• Hi All, 
    I'm having some issues with managing encryption keys in SQL Server. 

So a little background info:
    A data provider has requested a RSA 1024/2048 Public key for them to use encrypt data prior to transfer. 
    Once the data has been transferred we can use our private key to decrypt the data.

I fully understand the commands to encrypt and decrypt as there are some good resources out there for this, however what I am struggling with is finding where the keys are stored. 
     I have read here that there is no built in command to back up keys within SQL Server (although this article is from 2009), and that the keys are stored within the database itself so transferring the key from one server or db to another is near impossible
    We have looked into EKM but I think this may be overkill for what we require, but let me know your thoughts. 

So the question then is, what process should we use to obtain the public and private key and implement them within our environment and the process described above?

Many Thanks for all your help

• have you read this

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/t-sql/statements/create-asymmetric-key-transact-sql

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply