As a new DBA and a general SQL Newbie.. (recommendations on managing SS2k8 & Other tasks)

• I am a novice to SQL (In general) and a fairly new DBA -- I have quite a few questions.

I'm really curious as to what needs to be properly looked at and managed in regards to SQL Server 2008.

I know that I need to do Integrity Checks, Index Rebuild/Reorganize, Backups, Statistic Updates...

That's all that comes to mind. What I'm wondering is, what needs to be maintained and how often?

I also really enjoy managing my SQL Server Instance, the server is resides on, and the network.

What kind of advice or suggestions would you give me to help me further my career so I can continue to do what I'm enjoying so much?

What kind of traits does a successful DBA/DEV hold?

Is there anything that I should know about or advice you would like to pass down to me?

What can I do to be apart of the community and "get out there".. I know contributing to this forum is a good idea 🙂 There isn't a SSUG here in my area that I know of (chattanooga).. can someone so new as me start one?

I would love to do some consulting and side work, do any of you consult here? What have your experiences been with consulting?

I guess that's all I will bother you for... at least for now 🙂 There are so many questions going through my head!

• I guess I'm asking for too much or I could have worded my post better?

• It's a big question and if you want a quick answer it's, "It depends."

How often backups, integrity checks, and reindexing needs to be done depends on your environment. If the database is in use strictly 8-5 then you can probably do it every night. If it's in use 24 hours then it gets more difficult. SQL and Windows error logs and disk space are a couple things you didn't mention that are important.

I recently made the change from a Database Developer to a Production DBA so I picked up Thomas LaRock's DBA Survivor book. It's something you may be interested in for yourself.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/DBA-Survivor/Thomas-LaRock/e/9781430227878/?itm=2&USRI=dba+survivor

It goes through the answers to a lot of the questions you asked.

• cfradenburg (5/27/2011)

It's a big question and if you want a quick answer it's, "It depends."

How often backups, integrity checks, and reindexing needs to be done depends on your environment. If the database is in use strictly 8-5 then you can probably do it every night. If it's in use 24 hours then it gets more difficult. SQL and Windows error logs and disk space are a couple things you didn't mention that are important.

I recently made the change from a Database Developer to a Production DBA so I picked up Thomas LaRock's DBA Survivor book. It's something you may be interested in for yourself.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/DBA-Survivor/Thomas-LaRock/e/9781430227878/?itm=2&USRI=dba+survivor

It goes through the answers to a lot of the questions you asked.

Great man I really appreciate it!

I know what I asked for was a tall order! ha!

• I know that I need to do Integrity Checks, Index Rebuild/Reorganize, Backups, Statistic Updates...

That's all that comes to mind. What I'm wondering is, what needs to be maintained and how often?

Not only do you need to do backups you also need to test those backups, and create and practice disaster recover plans.

You also need to check that the jobs you are running are a) running and b) succeeding. If you have a job that does weekly integrity checks and you never look at the results its not doing you much good.

Monitor your databases. If you don't know how they are performing you can't really do anything to improve performance, and you could negatively impact performance and not know it. SQL server provides lots of information that you can use to monitor how its behaving.

As to how often you have to do things. A lot of that depends on your companies requirements. Most of my databases have a weekly full, nightly differentials, and hourly transaction log backups. But some of them are set to simple mode and just get weekly fulls, others aren't backed up and just have scripts to recreate them.

I find creating a checklist of things to be helpful so for example:

Things I do daily:

Check backups,

Check (SQL Server, Windows) Error logs,

Check SQL Server Agent Jobs,

Check Storage,

Check Security logs

Review Performance metric's

Weekly:

Integrity checks,

Verify Backups are making it to off site location,

Verify Backups are written to tape

Monthly:

Test backups

• jsph152 (5/27/2011)

I know that I need to do Integrity Checks, Index Rebuild/Reorganize, Backups, Statistic Updates...

Not only do you need to do backups you also need to test those backups, and create and practice disaster recover plans.

You also need to check that the jobs you are running are a) running and b) succeeding. If you have a job that does weekly integrity checks and you never look at the results its not doing you much good.

Monitor your databases. If you don't know how they are performing you can't really do anything to improve performance, and you could negatively impact performance and not know it. SQL server provides lots of information that you can use to monitor how its behaving.

As to how often you have to do things. A lot of that depends on your companies requirements. Most of my databases have a weekly full, nightly differentials, and hourly transaction log backups. But some of them are set to simple mode and just get weekly fulls, others aren't backed up and just have scripts to recreate them.

I find creating a checklist of things to be helpful so for example:

Things I do daily:

Check backups,

Check (SQL Server, Windows) Error logs,

Check SQL Server Agent Jobs,

Check Storage,

Check Security logs

Review Performance metric's

Weekly:

Integrity checks,

Verify Backups are making it to off site location,

Verify Backups are written to tape

Monthly:

Test backups

What kind of resources could you point me at.. too look more into monitoring and improve SQL performance?

• Its depend on job description of your designation in your organization

Jr.DBA will cover 1st Level Support

Sr.DBA will cover 2nd and 3rd Level Support

In some cases 3 Level support provide by the Vendor as well

Regards,
    Syed Jahanzaib Bin Hassan
    BSCS | MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

My Blog
    www.aureus-salah.com

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply