Array Parameter using AND

• Currently, I have a stored proc with an array parameter. The way I have is using IN

select *

from programs

where programid in @Array

This does "OR" between the array elements. Programid=1 or Programid=2, etc

Now, I want to say "AND" between the array elements.

Based on the subjects give me the programid.

Data:

ProgramId SubjectAreaId

1 1

1 2

1 4

1 8

2 3

2 5

2 8

3 2

3 8

If the array passed in is (1,2,4,8), the result would be programid 1 because it is the only one that has 1 and 2 and 4 and 8.

If I use the "in @array" I get programid of 1,2,3 because it is an "OR" search

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

• That's not how SQL logic works. SQL returns ROWS that meet the given criteria, but your criteria isn't satisfied by a single row. You would need multiple rows to determine if your criteria is matched.

You're either going to need to PIVOT (or equivalent) your table to get all of the necessary information into one row or UNPIVOT your argument to be able to match multiple records.

You haven't given us enough information to determine which is the best approach for what you are trying to accomplish.

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• Please show us your *actual* stored procedure that you are currently using. The "OR" example that you showed us would not work. If you can do that then I am confident that we can change it into an "AND" proc for you.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• This seems a little clunky, but I think it does what you want.

declare @array table (value int primary key)

insert into @array

select 1 union all

select 2 union all

select 4 union all

select 8

-- for a production table this would run best with a covering index built on (SubjectAreaID,ProgramID)

declare @sample table (ProgramId int, SubjectAreaId int)

insert into @sample

select 1, 1 union all

select 1, 2 union all

select 1, 4 union all

select 1, 8 union all

select 2, 3 union all

select 2, 5 union all

select 2, 8 union all

select 3, 2 union all

select 3, 8

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Everything above this line was just to set up sample data. Solution follows:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

declare @rc int

select @rc = COUNT(distinct value) from @array

;with cte1 as -- this shows only rows that match the array values

(select ProgramId, SubjectAreaId

from @sample s

join @array a on s.SubjectAreaId = a.value

)

,cte2 as -- this counts the distinct values for each program id to test against the array count @rc

(select programID, count(distinct subjectAreaID) as matchCount from cte1 group by programID)

select programID from cte2

where matchCount = @rc

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Two ways you can do it:

1) If you can add an extra parameter to your stored procedure then the following is a very simple solution, similar to what was suggested earlier

DECLARE @program TABLE

(

ProgramId INT, SubjectAreaId INT

)

INSERT INTO @program SELECT 1,1

INSERT INTO @program SELECT 1, 2

INSERT INTO @program SELECT 1 ,4

INSERT INTO @program SELECT 1 ,8

INSERT INTO @program SELECT 2 ,3

INSERT INTO @program SELECT 2 ,5

INSERT INTO @program SELECT 2 ,8

INSERT INTO @program SELECT 3 ,2

INSERT INTO @program SELECT 3 ,8;

DECLARE @nCounts INT

SET @nCounts = 4

SELECT ProgramId FROM @program

WHERE SubjectAreaId IN (1,2,4,8)

GROUP By ProgramId

HAVING COUNT(*) = @nCounts

@nCounts is the parameter you need to pass, this should be the count of the elements in your array.

2) If you don't want to change the parameters to stored procedure, write a function which calculates the element in the array passed and do the same solution again

• If you are going to hard code the WHERE clause to be (1,2,4,8), why don't you just go ahead and say = 4?

What if someone makes a typo and has "2" in the array twice. What if there suplicate rows in the table to be searched that have the same SubjectAreaID and ProgramID?

Even though it slows the query down, I really think the DISTINCT keywords need to be included.

Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• This is pointless anyway. he OP is not answering any question and what they originally posted could not have worked. We really cannot do anything to help them until that give us some more information.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Oh yeah.... I tend to forget about the purpose of all this. I just play for love of the game.

• Sorry for not getting back sooner....

Here's the actual sproc:

ALTER PROCEDURE

[Out].[programs_programsearch_select_by_various]

@CountryIDs varchar(max) = NULL,

@OptionIDs varchar(max) = NULL,

@SubjectAreaIDs varchar(max) = NULL,

@LanguageOfInstructionID int = NULL,

@GPA decimal(4,2)=null,

@MinLanguagePrerequisiteQrtrs int = null,

@ClassLevelIDs varchar(MAX) = NULL,

@IsEligibleForGraduates Bit = Null,

@ProgramId Int = null

AS

SELECT DISTINCT

pi.CountryID,

c.Name as Country,

p.ProgramID,

p.Name as Program,

pp.PageName,

pt.ProgramSearchName,

p.gpa

FROMOut.Programsp

INNER JOINOut.v_packages_packagesprogramsoptions_programsoptions_programsvppppONvpppp.ProgramID = p.ProgramID

INNER JOINOut.ProgramsPartnerInstitutionsppiONppi.ProgramID = p.ProgramID

INNER JOINOut.ProgramsPartnerInstitutionsOptionsppioONppio.ProgramPartnerInstitutionID = ppi.ProgramPartnerInstitutionID

and ppio.ProgramOptionID = vpppp.ProgramOptionID

INNER JOINdbo.PartnerInstitutionspiONpi.PartnerInstitutionID = ppi.PartnerInstitutionID

INNER JOINOut.ProgramTypesptonpt.ProgramTypeID = p.ProgramTypeID

INNER JOINdbo.CountriescONc.CountryID = pi.CountryID

LEFT JOINdbo.fn_Parse_int_array(@CountryIDs)pCountryIDsONpi.CountryID = pCountryIDs.Element

INNER JOINOut.OptionsoONo.OptionID = vpppp.OptionID

LEFT JOINdbo.fn_Parse_int_array(@OptionIDs)pOptionIDsONvpppp.OptionID = pOptionIDs.Element

LEFT JOINOut.ProgramsPartnerInstitutionsSubjectAreas ppisaON ppisa.ProgramPartnerInstitutionID = ppi.ProgramPartnerInstitutionID

LEFT JOINAca.SubjectAreassaONsa.SubjectAreaID = ppisa.SubjectAreaID

LEFT JOINdbo.fn_Parse_int_array(@SubjectAreaIDs) pSubjectAreaIDsONppisa.SubjectAreaID = pSubjectAreaIDs.Element

LEFT JOINOut.ProgramsLanguagesplONpl.ProgramID = p.ProgramID

LEFT JOINdbo.LanguagesOfInstructionloionloi.LanguageOfInstructionID = pl.LanguageOfInstructionID

LEFT JOINOut.ProgramLanguagePrerequisitesplponplp.ProgramLanguageID = pl.ProgramLanguageID

LEFT JOINOut.LanguagePrerequisiteslpminonlpmin.LanguagePrerequisiteID=plp.MinimumLanguagePrerequisiteID

LEFT JOINOut.LanguagePrerequisiteslpmaxonlpmax.LanguagePrerequisiteID=plp.MaximumLanguagePrerequisiteID

LEFT JOINweb.ProgramPagespponpp.ProgramID=p.ProgramID

left joinOut.ProgramsClassLevelspclon pcl.ProgramID=p.ProgramID

LEFT JOINdbo.fn_Parse_int_array(@ClassLevelIDs)pClLevelIDsONpcl.ClassLevelID = pClLevelIDs.Element

inner joinout.PackagespckON pck.PackageId = vpppp.PackageId

ANDpck.IsActiveOnlineApplication=1

WHERE vpppp.IsSearchable = 1

and p.IsActiveOnlineApplication = 1

and ppio.IsActive = 1

and ppi.IsActive = 1

and (@CountryIDs IS NULL OR pCountryIDs.Element IS NOT NULL)

and (@OptionIDs IS NULL OR pOptionIDs.Element IS NOT NULL)

and (@SubjectAreaIDs IS NULL OR pSubjectAreaIDs.Element IS NOT NULL)

and (@LanguageOfInstructionID is null or pl.LanguageOfInstructionID=@LanguageOfInstructionID)

and (@GPA is null or p.gpa<=@GPA)

and (@ProgramId is null or p.programid = @ProgramId)

and ((@ClassLevelIds is null and @IsEligibleForGraduates is null)

OR pClLevelIDs.element is not null or p.IsEligibleForGraduates=@IsEligibleForGraduates)

and (

@MinLanguagePrerequisiteQrtrs is null

or (

(lpmin.Quarters <0 or lpmin.Quarters is null or lpmin.Quarters <= @MinLanguagePrerequisiteQrtrs)

and (lpmax.Quarters = @MinLanguagePrerequisiteQrtrs)

)

)

and (

(@LanguageOfInstructionID!=10 or @LanguageOfInstructionID is NULL) -- not "English"

OR (

(pl.LanguageOfInstructionID = 10 and

not exists (select * FROM Out.ProgramsLanguages

WHERE ProgramID = pl.ProgramID

AND LanguageOfInstructionID 10

AND IsOptional=0))

or (pl.LanguageOfInstructionID = 10 and

exists (select * FROM Out.ProgramsLanguages pl2

left join Out.ProgramLanguagePrerequisites plr on plr.ProgramLanguageID = pl2.ProgramLanguageID

AND (plr.MinimumLanguagePrerequisiteID=1 or plr.ProgramLanguagePrerequisiteID is null)

AND LanguageOfInstructionID 10

AND IsOptional=0))

or (pl.LanguageOfInstructionID 10 and pl.IsOptional= 1 and

exists (select * FROM Out.ProgramsLanguages

where ProgramID=pl.ProgramID and LanguageOfInstructionID=10))

or (pl.LanguageOfInstructionID 10 and pl.IsOptional= 0 and

exists (select * FROM Out.ProgramsLanguages pl

AND LanguageOfInstructionID = 10)

and exists (select * from out.ProgramLanguagePrerequisites plpr

where (plpr.MinimumLanguagePrerequisiteID=1

and ProgramLanguageID= pl.ProgramLanguageID)))

)

)

ORDER BY c.Name, p.Name

return 0

• Bob Hovious (8/25/2009)

If you are going to hard code the WHERE clause to be (1,2,4,8), why don't you just go ahead and say = 4?

What if someone makes a typo and has "2" in the array twice. What if there suplicate rows in the table to be searched that have the same SubjectAreaID and ProgramID?

Even though it slows the query down, I really think the DISTINCT keywords need to be included.

First of all everything is hard coded in the example even the values in the table, it was just an "EXAMPLE" which I was trying to show, and again it was an example to say 4, which would be a parameter as I said.

You are right, that the example would result empty set, incase somebody mistypes, if somebody mistypes the input, i would prefer the input to be corrected :). Validation should not be in stored procedures.

Just my 2 cents....

• that was for test purposes, the (1,2,4,8) comes in as a string. I use a "where-in" clause not the hard code.

• Yes, I understand that it is an example. But it is inconsistent to hard code a set of values and then to say that a count of those values is being passed in as a parameter. If you are going to pass a set of values to be tested against, it seems pointless to also pass a count of the values. SQL can get the count with a cte or a subquery without the need of separate function.

Second, although validation should certainly be done on the front end, having a procedure catch errors and deal with them (or return the error to the calling application) ensures consistency if procedures are used by more than one application. In addition, people in forums often raise issues like this, because the original poster may not have thought of everything when posting their sample data.

• Bob Hovious (8/25/2009)

Yes, I understand that it is an example. But it is inconsistent to hard code a set of values and then to say that a count of those values is being passed in as a parameter. If you are going to pass a set of values to be tested against, it seems pointless to also pass a count of the values. SQL can get the count with a cte or a subquery without the need of separate function.

Second, although validation should certainly be done on the front end, having a procedure catch errors and deal with them (or return the error to the calling application) ensures consistency if procedures are used by more than one application. In addition, people in forums often raise issues like this, because the original poster may not have thought of everything when posting their sample data.

Ok, I thought it was implicit that values are being passed as an array, that was just used in where clause so that the original poster can relate to it. Function was proposed, so that, if similar need comes up in future we don't have to replicate the code. Now, how you implement the function is upto you.

Passing count was proposed, so that it could be easier for some users, as it is easy to know the count of elements in an array at the stored procedure call then to write a CTE or subquery to calculate inside the procedure. It depends on your individual comfort level.

I agree procedure could catch errors, but the question is what type of error, should it catch data inconsistency errors or data exceptions or any other exceptions. I prefer catching exceptions.

Point well taken about original poster might not know what they want to ask.

• Upon reflection, I must concede that where work (such as taking a count) can be done on a web application prior to calling a procedure, it takes the load off the SQL server, which,most would deem to be a good thing. The problem is that the procedure is now dependent on the application programmer(s) to get the count right and passed correctly or it will return a false negative, not even an error. That possibility troubles me.

• Finally, got back to it and your suggestion worked!!! It was very slick!

Thank you so much!!!!!!!:-D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply