Arithmetic overflow error converting expression to data type smallint

• Hi everyone

I am getting error

The calculation I am doing is producing very small numbers like 0.0000005328.

How can I fix the calculation so it produces correctly?  I am guessing I have to typecast the calculation so it works properly because smallint is definitely wrong.  I am not sure where it is getting the smallint from because the original CTE doesn't explictly state it.  It is probably something that is assumed by SQL Server.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you

• Could you post your code and sample data and DDL?

You are doing something that the query optimizer thinks will be a SMALLINT, but that being said, 0.0000005328 WILL successfully cast to smallint without any problems.  You can verify this by running:

SELECT CAST(0.0000005328 AS SMALLINT)

The problem is LIKELY that you have some other column that is causing the problem OR you have some large value coming out.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• water490 wrote:

Hi everyone

I am getting error

The calculation I am doing is producing very small numbers like 0.0000005328.

How can I fix the calculation so it produces correctly?  I am guessing I have to typecast the calculation so it works properly because smallint is definitely wrong.  I am not sure where it is getting the smallint from because the original CTE doesn't explictly state it.  It is probably something that is assumed by SQL Server.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you

There are a whole lot of things that implicitly occur in code when you haven't explicitly defined things.  We can't actually tell you how to fix "it" because you haven't posted the code that's causing the error.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• thanks for the reply.

here is the code:

The column NEAR_TERM_STRIKE contains integers.

Even after putting the cast command I still get the same error.  There is no other column in the query that is producing such small numbers.  I have been building my query with multiple CTEs and after each CTE is done I test the output and no issues.  The only exception is below code.  I am getting errors ONLY when this block is run so I think the error is here.

SELECTT1.UNDERLYING_SYMBOL, 
    T1.QUOTE_DATE,
    T1.NEAR_TERM_STRIKE,
    T1.OPTION_TYPE,
    CASE
    WHEN T1.NEAR_TERM_STRIKE = T2.MIN_STRIKE
    THEN CAST((LEAD(T1.NEAR_TERM_STRIKE) OVER (PARTITION BY T1.UNDERLYING_SYMBOL, T1.QUOTE_DATE ORDER BY T1.NEAR_TERM_STRIKE) - T1.NEAR_TERM_STRIKE) /
    (T1.NEAR_TERM_STRIKE * T1.NEAR_TERM_STRIKE) * EXP(T3.NEAR_TERM_TIME * T4.NEAR_TERM_RATE) * T1.MIDPOINT_PRICE AS NUMERIC(18,18))
    WHEN T1.NEAR_TERM_STRIKE = T2.MAX_STRIKE
    THEN CAST((T1.NEAR_TERM_STRIKE - LAG(T1.NEAR_TERM_STRIKE) OVER (PARTITION BY T1.UNDERLYING_SYMBOL, T1.QUOTE_DATE ORDER BY T1.NEAR_TERM_STRIKE)) /
    (T1.NEAR_TERM_STRIKE * T1.NEAR_TERM_STRIKE) * EXP(T3.NEAR_TERM_TIME * T4.NEAR_TERM_RATE) * T1.MIDPOINT_PRICE AS NUMERIC(18,18))
    ELSE CAST((((LEAD(T1.NEAR_TERM_STRIKE) OVER (PARTITION BY T1.UNDERLYING_SYMBOL, T1.QUOTE_DATE ORDER BY T1.NEAR_TERM_STRIKE)) -
    (LAG(T1.NEAR_TERM_STRIKE) OVER (PARTITION BY T1.UNDERLYING_SYMBOL, T1.QUOTE_DATE ORDER BY T1.NEAR_TERM_STRIKE))) / 2.0) /
    END AS STRIKE_CONTRIBUTION
    FROMOPTION_LIST_NEAR_TERM_CTE AS T1 INNER JOIN
    NEAR_TERM_STRIKE_MIN_MAX_CTE AS T2 ON
    T1.UNDERLYING_SYMBOL = T2.UNDERLYING_SYMBOL AND
    T1.QUOTE_DATE = T2.QUOTE_DATE INNER JOIN
    TIME_CTE AS T3 ON T1.UNDERLYING_SYMBOL = T3.UNDERLYING_SYMBOL AND T1.QUOTE_DATE = T3.QUOTE_DATE INNER JOIN
    DISCOUNT_RATE_CTE AS T4 ON T1.QUOTE_DATE = T4.QUOTE_DATE
  • I completely understand.  I have posted sample code.

• this suggestion does work

SELECT CAST(0.0000005328 AS NUMERIC(18,18)) FROM TIME_CTE

it produces:

not sure why it doesn't work in my CTE posted.

• I modified the query so i look at part piece by piece.  the problem is with calculation

1.0 / (T1.NEAR_TERM_STRIKE * T1.NEAR_TERM_STRIKE)

the values for NEAR_TERM_STRIKE range from about 1000 to 3000.

I tried this and still doesn't work

CAST(T1.NEAR_TERM_STRIKE * T1.NEAR_TERM_STRIKE AS int)

How can I fix my query?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by  water490.
  • i fixed the problem

i changed the original column datatype from smallint to int and now the error is gone.

thank you everyone!

• You haven't posted your CTEs, just a query that appears to reference four CTEs (OPTION_LIST_NEAR_TERM_CTE, NEAR_TERM_STRIKE_MIN_MAX_CTE, TIME_CTE, & DISCOUNT_RATE_CTE), so we can't know either.

Can you post DDL for the tables referenced, & assuming the four objects suffixed as CTEs really are, the portion of the query preceding the SELECT that defines those CTEs (obfuscated/anonymized as needed to protect confidential information)? And sample data that reproduces the error?

How to post code problems

• My opinion - I would try your query as just a SELECT without the CAST and see what you get back, as well as selecting all values in that CTE.

If it does work, you can work with the data to try to figure out which one is causing you problems.  It is likely as Jeff said - an implicit conversion causing problems.  For example, the calculation:

T1.NEAR_TERM_STRIKE * T1.NEAR_TERM_STRIKE

MIGHT be doing a SMALLINT * SMALLINT which is likely going to blow up into an INT.  For example, the following query will give you an error:

DECLARE @test SMALLINT = 100
    SELECT CAST(@test*@test*@test AS INT)

because @test-2*@test*@test will exceed a smallint even though it will easily fit into an INT.  To fix it, you would need to either change the datatype of @test-2 to INT OR CAST one of those to an INT (or larger) such as:

DECLARE @test SMALLINT = 100
    SELECT CAST(CAST(@test AS INT)*@test*@test AS INT)

The reason being is implicit conversion.  A SMALLINT * SMALLINT * SMALLINT will result in a SMALLINT in on the SQL side.  BUT if you do INT * SMALLINT * SMALLINT, SQL will implicitly convert the whole thing to an INT.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• 0.0000005328  is not an integer. When you cast or convert it, it will be 0.  The decimal portion is truncated.   The largest number a Numeric (18,18) can hold is 0.999999999999999999.

It appears you are making your code work via trial and error, without regard to the accuracy of your calculations.

I think you need to examine your data, and select the proper data types.   I do not know the nature of your system and data, but I shudder to think what kind of disaster may occur with clearly bad calculations such as this.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/t-sql/data-types/decimal-and-numeric-transact-sql?view=sql-server-ver15

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply