Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Brandie Tarvin - Monday, April 24, 2017 7:24 AM

My opinion is certs are worth it if you don't have any paid experience with SQL and are moving into a job that requires some experience (like I did when I moved from retail to DBA). Or when the job requires it.

Studying for certs definitely teaches a few things about stuff we may not have encountered on the day-to-day stuff, but certs aren't the holy grail of job security.

I find the certs teach so little. TBH, I find the forums to be much more useful to learning than the certs. I am somewhat biased since the certs below MCM are FAR FAR FAR too easy.

I do agree that the certs are nowhere close to the holy grail of job security.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Chad Crawford - Monday, April 24, 2017 1:20 PM

Thom A - Monday, April 24, 2017 7:18 AM

Sorry to disappoint you Brandie, but going for something "on topic" too.

I'm considering doing the Microsoft Certifications sometimes in the "near" future, and wanted to check if people feel that they are worth the time. Also, unsure where is best to start. Is it best to start at MTA anyway, or is there any problems with starting higher (does, say MCSA, have MTA as a prerequisite)? MTA does seem to be the "entry" level, and personally feel my skills are above that, but I also don't know what to expect at each level.

Any sweeping statements are welcomed, I'm not looking an essay answer, just a little guidance. 🙂

Thanks guys/gals!

I look at certifications as one leg on a four legged stool:
    --Experience
    --Education
    --Certification
    --Community (blog, forum activity, speaking, etc.)

Any one of them alone isn't sufficient to stand on its own.  For example, if all you have is a degree I can't tell if you have any practical experience.  But if you have a degree and 3 years experience, there must be at least a little something to it.  The more legs on your stool and the longer they are, the better off you are.  

What if you have 42 legs and they are all varying lengths?

Learn Extended Events

• Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, April 26, 2017 6:35 AM

jasona.work - Tuesday, April 25, 2017 1:25 PM

Ed Wagner - Tuesday, April 25, 2017 1:16 PM

Sean Lange - Tuesday, April 25, 2017 1:12 PM

Ed Wagner - Tuesday, April 25, 2017 1:05 PM

bmg002 - Tuesday, April 25, 2017 12:12 PM

Ed Wagner - Tuesday, April 25, 2017 12:01 PM

bmg002 - Monday, April 24, 2017 4:15 PM

Lynn Pettis - Monday, April 24, 2017 4:12 PM

Sorry I brought it up.

I'm glad you did.  It was a fun contribution to the conversation :).

It was a good conversation to read.  I miss The Thread for a day and I missed a whole bunch of conversation.

So why does the conversation about the stool remind me about a 5 ounce bird carrying a 1 pound coconut? 😀 😉

It could be carried by an African swallow!

Or European. 😛  It's one of the most quotable movies ever.  Hard to believe it's as old as it is.

Hard to believe that we are as old as we are. :w00t:

How very true, my friend.  All too true.

Will I get drummed out of the thread if I mention that while I own a copy of the movie in question, bought many, many years back on DVD, I've never even taken it out of the shrink wrap?

YES!

Anyone who doesn't know the fate of Sir Robin's minstrels deserves a fate worse then death. Consider your Thread Card revoked and all memberships herein denied!

No Tent in the Desert for YOU! @=)

Well, he's not dead yet.

Learn Extended Events

• Sean Lange - Wednesday, April 26, 2017 7:37 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, April 26, 2017 7:26 AM

ThomasRushton - Wednesday, April 26, 2017 6:44 AM

Brandie Tarvin - Wednesday, April 26, 2017 6:35 AM

jasona.work - Tuesday, April 25, 2017 1:25 PM

Will I get drummed out of the thread if I mention that while I own a copy of the movie in question, bought many, many years back on DVD, I've never even taken it out of the shrink wrap?

YES!

Anyone who doesn't know the fate of Sir Robin's minstrels deserves a fate worse then death. Consider your Thread Card revoked and all memberships herein denied!

No Tent in the Desert for YOU! @=)

Hang on.  I'm a bit worried here.  Are there any other films that carry the same punishment?  'cos there are vast swathes of films that I've never seen but people keep telling me I should...

Rocky Horror Picture show definitely. I leave it to other Threadzians to define the rest of the list.

Princess Bride

What is this Rocky Horrible Picture Show?

"Prepare to Die!"

Great that Princess Bride is what helped give life to Criminal Minds.

Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR - Wednesday, April 26, 2017 3:05 PM

Brandie Tarvin - Monday, April 24, 2017 7:24 AM

My opinion is certs are worth it if you don't have any paid experience with SQL and are moving into a job that requires some experience (like I did when I moved from retail to DBA). Or when the job requires it.

Studying for certs definitely teaches a few things about stuff we may not have encountered on the day-to-day stuff, but certs aren't the holy grail of job security.

I find the certs teach so little. TBH, I find the forums to be much more useful to learning than the certs. I am somewhat biased since the certs below MCM are FAR FAR FAR too easy.

There is always the The Missing Certification

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Sean Lange - Wednesday, April 26, 2017 9:53 AM

Lynn Pettis - Wednesday, April 26, 2017 9:46 AM

rodjkidd - Wednesday, April 26, 2017 9:41 AM

Got to add in Blazing Saddles?

Young Frankenstein.

Dr. Strangelove
    Start the Revolution Without Me

Kelly's Heroes

Don't get hopped up on goofballs there.

Kelly's Heroes was introduced to me on the thread - fwiw.

Learn Extended Events

• WayneS - Wednesday, April 26, 2017 3:27 PM

SQLRNNR - Wednesday, April 26, 2017 3:05 PM

Brandie Tarvin - Monday, April 24, 2017 7:24 AM

There is always the The Missing Certification

That was from a galaxy far far away.

Learn Extended Events

• Is there any way I could get some of you to change habits and note quote 3,4, 10 posts in your replies? It does clutter the forum and make it harder to scroll through.
    If you quote someone, all the previous quotes appear, but you can easily delete the other ones. As shown here.

Leave the last one, and we can easily jump back from there to older ones if needed.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Wednesday, April 26, 2017 1:53 PM

Ed Wagner - Wednesday, April 26, 2017 1:29 PM

They probably don't.  Same for a card catalog in a library.

What's a library?

It's that place where you can go and look for things on microfiche.

• Ed Wagner - Wednesday, April 26, 2017 1:28 PM

Another great quote: "Shall we play a game?"

Thermonuclear war?

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• Well someone has finally mentioned a movie I haven't seen... Just to give a air of suspense I'm not going to say which one! Much like the worst that happened was bruising a elbow when faced with nuclear warheads...
    (edit) The funny thing is I'm not really a movie buff, but I guess I've seen the right ones! haha

I will offer a vote for Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan... certainly the odd numbered ones on the whole sucked!

Rodders...

• rodjkidd - Thursday, April 27, 2017 2:10 AM

Well someone has finally mentioned a movie I haven't seen... Just to give a air of suspense I'm not going to say which one! Much like the worst that happened was bruising a elbow when faced with nuclear warheads...
    (edit) The funny thing is I'm not really a movie buff, but I guess I've seen the right ones! haha

I will offer a vote for Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan... certainly the odd numbered ones on the whole sucked!

Rodders...

Several have now been mentioned that I haven't seen...  🙂
    And at least one that I have seen, but have no recollection of.  If you see what I mean.

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• SQLRNNR - Wednesday, April 26, 2017 2:59 PM

I agree. It is all Brandie's fault.

Y'all are just jealous. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Wednesday, April 26, 2017 1:53 PM

Ed Wagner - Wednesday, April 26, 2017 1:29 PM

They probably don't.  Same for a card catalog in a library.

What's a library?

I was wondering if anyone would comment on the library. 😉  It's a building (that usually smelled excessively dusty) and was where you HAD TO GO to do research. Now, there's more information available on the phone in your pocket than there was in the library.  I think it's good because information is available so widely to so many people.  I think it's bad because anyone can write a site, page or post.  Being right or accurate doesn't matter.

• Ed Wagner - Thursday, April 27, 2017 6:25 AM

It's a building that you  had to use to do research

I was wondering if anyone would comment on the library. 😉  It's a building (that usually smelled excessively dusty) and was where you HAD TO GO to do research. Now, there's more information available on the phone in your pocket than there was in the library.  I think it's good because information is available so widely to so many people.  I think it's bad because anyone can write a site, page or post.  Being right or accurate doesn't matter.

Does anyone remember Microsoft Encarta? I remember spending many days using it on the home Windows 95 machine to help with my homework.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

Viewing 15 posts - 58,321 through 58,335 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply