Are the posted questions getting worse?

• WayneS (5/4/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/4/2015)

I have to agree as well. I have almost 20 years experience and I know that I don't know everything. I still have a lot more learn as I haven't used everything in SQL Server as you can only use that which your employer uses and is willing to use.

So true Lynn.

Off-topic, I see you (WayneS) will present in a few weeks in my area about tips and tricks. 😀

I shall attend just for that!

• Lynn Pettis (5/7/2015)

I really want to say "Write it yourself. We aren't here to do your work for you."

For a couple seconds I thought that was directed at me (given the previous post)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (5/8/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/7/2015)

I really want to say "Write it yourself. We aren't here to do your work for you."

For a couple seconds I thought that was directed at me (given the previous post)

In that context, this is very very funny:-D

😎

• GilaMonster (5/8/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/7/2015)

You're not the only one 😀

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Luis Cazares (5/7/2015)

Ed Wagner (5/7/2015)

Luis Cazares (5/7/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/7/2015)

Catch the comment in this post: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1683559.aspx

The problem is that this newborn isn't really a newborn, but keeps asking questions and making comments that show that he hasn't learned a thing or has just learned misconceptions.

True, but I think the real question lies in asking which one is better? On one side we have the statement itself and on the other side, we have poor Lynn spitting soda out his nose. I've been there and I assure you it is not comfortable.

That's serious, not only his health is compromised, also the integrity of his computer or any other electronic device near him.

I think that's probably a regular occurrence for Saint Lynn. Probably has soda callouses, doesn't feel a thing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• For anyone out there experienced with SQLIO can you chime in on this thread. I'm still learning and am not the best resource on this. Thanks!

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• I must be getting cynical. Too many people are losing the ability to think for themselves and solve problems needing everything handed to them on silver platters.

• Geez, now someone doesn't even understand that the code they are running generates and runs dynamic SQL.

• Lynn Pettis (5/8/2015)

I must be getting cynical. Too many people are losing the ability to think for themselves and solve problems needing everything handed to them on silver platters.

To be honest, I actually blame Microsoft a bit here. It used to be that "Books Online" would install with the product. Now, it's a separate install unless you want your server to have direct web access (no thanks). I'm finding that a lot of people are either just too damned lazy to do the install or unaware that such a thing is possible and the online version leaves a lot (IMHO) to be desired compared to the desktop version.

The other thing is that the economy has gotten a bit better in the world of IT and so we now have a lot more self proclaimed programmers/developers/DBAs being employed.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Lynn Pettis (5/8/2015)

Geez, now someone doesn't even understand that the code they are running generates and runs dynamic SQL.

What is dynamic sql?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Jeff Moden (5/8/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/8/2015)

I must be getting cynical. Too many people are losing the ability to think for themselves and solve problems needing everything handed to them on silver platters.

To be honest, I actually blame Microsoft a bit here. It used to be that "Books Online" would install with the product. Now, it's a separate install unless you want your server to have direct web access (no thanks). I'm finding that a lot of people are either just too damned lazy to do the install or unaware that such a thing is possible and the online version leaves a lot (IMHO) to be desired compared to the desktop version.

The other thing is that the economy has gotten a bit better in the world of IT and so we now have a lot more self proclaimed programmers/developers/DBAs being employed.

I have gotten into arguments with SysAdmins about installing BOL. You need to when you work on closed networks that has no Internet access.

• Lynn Pettis (5/8/2015)

Not being nasty, but maybe you need a short break from here?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • SQLRNNR (5/8/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/8/2015)

Geez, now someone doesn't even understand that the code they are running generates and runs dynamic SQL.

What is dynamic sql?

Who is John Gault?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• SQLRNNR (5/8/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/8/2015)

What is dynamic sql?

What is sql?

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • GilaMonster (5/8/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/8/2015)

Not being nasty, but maybe you need a short break from here?

No, I'm just getting cynical, and I needed to rant a bit. I'll be okay. I did manage to survive almost 20 months in austere condition.

Viewing 15 posts - 48,391 through 48,405 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply