Are the posted questions getting worse?

• dwain.c (12/28/2014)

I wanted to take a moment to wish all the forum members a (late) Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

I've been extremely busy of late so have been of little help on the forums (but I managed to sneak in a few answers in the last week). Projects, etc., etc., not the least of which being a new house that we just completed our move into yesterday (Sunday). This is not something that is as easy to do here in Thailand as it is in the west. Many bits are left unfinished by the builder and simply left for the buyer to handle. Fortunately, my wife was a saint through it all, as she had to handle most of it due to the language barrier.

Fortunately as it is her house (can't even be part-owner due to rules/laws), she's letting me stay in it at the moment. Hopefully that'll stick.

Congrats on the new house Dwain and happy holidays, just did similar, moved home just before Christmas, Boxing day turned into an un-boxing day;-)

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson (12/29/2014)

dwain.c (12/28/2014)

I wanted to take a moment to wish all the forum members a (late) Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

I've been extremely busy of late so have been of little help on the forums (but I managed to sneak in a few answers in the last week). Projects, etc., etc., not the least of which being a new house that we just completed our move into yesterday (Sunday). This is not something that is as easy to do here in Thailand as it is in the west. Many bits are left unfinished by the builder and simply left for the buyer to handle. Fortunately, my wife was a saint through it all, as she had to handle most of it due to the language barrier.

Fortunately as it is her house (can't even be part-owner due to rules/laws), she's letting me stay in it at the moment. Hopefully that'll stick.

Congrats on the new house Dwain and happy holidays, just did similar, moved home just before Christmas, Boxing day turned into an un-boxing day;-)

😎

I think for me Jan will be un-boxing month. Happy Holidays to all!

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• Eirikur Eiriksson (12/29/2014)

TomThomson (12/28/2014)

Here are some more languages people can guess at:-

Nollaig chrìdheil agus bliadhna mhath ùr

Nollaig faoi shéan agus ath-bhliain faoi shonas

Nollick ghennal as blein vie noa

Bonan Kristnaskon kaj felican novan jaron

Nadolig llawen a blwyddyn newydd dda

Nadelik looan na looan blethen noweth

Nedeleg laouen na bloavezh mat

Bon Nadal i un bon any nou

I'm going to give this a shot, first the rather obvious ones, one and two are Scottish and Irish, fourth is Esperanto, fifth Welsh and the eight is somewhere between Spanish, Neapolitan and Italian so I'm guessing it's Katalan.

The third is more like northern Gaelic while the sixth and the seventh have a more southern feel to it, my guess is somewhere around the English Channel.

You got 1,2 4,5 and 8 straight off the top, which surprised me - in my experience very few people can tell any two celtic languages apart (usually they can't even distinguish Brythonic from Gaelic; and in fact few people will even recognise that the languages are celtic languages) so recognising three straight away is quite impressive; and it's equally true that people tend never to have heard of non-national Romance languages like Neapolitan and Catalan. You got the others about right too: 3 is indeed another Gaelic, despite the bizarre un-gaelic orthography. It's Manx Gaelic, aka Gaelk, whose original orthography was lost several centuries ago when no literate native speakers remained, and a new orthography - totally divorced from the language's phonology - was invented by a Bishop of Sudor and Mannin who wanted to have a Manx version of the new testament to teach his flock and wasn't aware that Manx had used the same orthography as the other Gaelics. Numbers 6 and 7 do come from close to the English Channel, being Cornish and Breton respectively (I know that some Cornish people will find my orthography pretty bizarre, as there seem to be at least two two quite different ways of writing the language).

Tom

• TomThomson (12/29/2014)

Eirikur Eiriksson (12/29/2014)

TomThomson (12/28/2014)

Here are some more languages people can guess at:-

Nollaig chrìdheil agus bliadhna mhath ùr

Nollaig faoi shéan agus ath-bhliain faoi shonas

Nollick ghennal as blein vie noa

Bonan Kristnaskon kaj felican novan jaron

Nadolig llawen a blwyddyn newydd dda

Nadelik looan na looan blethen noweth

Nedeleg laouen na bloavezh mat

Bon Nadal i un bon any nou

I'm going to give this a shot, first the rather obvious ones, one and two are Scottish and Irish, fourth is Esperanto, fifth Welsh and the eight is somewhere between Spanish, Neapolitan and Italian so I'm guessing it's Katalan.

The third is more like northern Gaelic while the sixth and the seventh have a more southern feel to it, my guess is somewhere around the English Channel.

You got 1,2 4,5 and 8 straight off the top, which surprised me - in my experience very few people can tell any two celtic languages apart (usually they can't even distinguish Brythonic from Gaelic; and in fact few people will even recognise that the languages are celtic languages) so recognising three straight away is quite impressive; and it's equally true that people tend never to have heard of non-national Romance languages like Neapolitan and Catalan. You got the others about right too: 3 is indeed another Gaelic, despite the bizarre un-gaelic orthography. It's Manx Gaelic, aka Gaelk, whose original orthography was lost several centuries ago when no literate native speakers remained, and a new orthography - totally divorced from the language's phonology - was invented by a Bishop of Sudor and Mannin who wanted to have a Manx version of the new testament to teach his flock and wasn't aware that Manx had used the same orthography as the other Gaelics. Numbers 6 and 7 do come from close to the English Channel, being Cornish and Breton respectively (I know that some Cornish people will find my orthography pretty bizarre, as there seem to be at least two two quite different ways of writing the language).

Must say Tom that you did put together quite a challenge although a pattern emerged which did help with the Gaelic languages, mainly a geographic lineage from north to the south. There are also similarities in the differences from one to another as found in the Scandinavian languages.

😎

I find both human and computer languages a very fascinating subject, must admit that I've been taken aback by the general ignorance here in the UK when it comes to the old languages (and often languages in general). I might also be exposing my tendency to hoard useless information:-D

• ... Mark one off, 60 days on the calendar to go. 60 days on the calendar to go, 60 days to go, ...

• Eirikur Eiriksson (12/30/2014)

I find both human and computer languages a very fascinating subject, must admit that I've been taken aback by the general ignorance here in the UK when it comes to the old languages (and often languages in general). I might also be exposing my tendency to hoard useless information:-D

That sounds as if we have something in common - whether it's an interest in languages (both human and computer) or a tendency to hoard useless information is perhaps a question we can leave to others. 🙂 The general tendency in the UK to ignore older languages (most English speakers I know can't even read Shakespeare, let alone Chaucer) and all languages other than English whether modern or old (except for the few whose native language is one of the Celtic languages, or Shelta, or Rom) doesn't just take me aback, it apalls me. :angry:

Tom

• BrainDonor (12/24/2014)

Lynn Pettis (12/23/2014)

Okay, I have a question about PASS 2015. I can save a lot of money by registering for PASS 2015 now. My question is when do I make my hotel/flight reservations?

I've already booked the flights, because they only get more expensive as time progresses - and I don't have the nerve to wait for standby flights. I haven't got around to booking accomodation yet but that will be done soon. The prices tend not to climb so fast (or at all) but the choices diminish the closer we get to the required date.

I haven't found flights to change much from 6-9 months out to 2 months before. Sometimes there's a short climb below 2 months, and certainly steep when it's 2 weeks out, but not substantial savings I've seen. Might be different depending on airlines.

Hotels will fill up, but I think they tend to fill for the conference in the last 2-3 months. I've booked most of the Summit hotels within 3 months, maybe within 2.

• ... Mark one off, 59 days on the calendar to go. 59 days on the calendar to go, 59 days to go, ...

• [font="Arial Black"]Happy New Year from far off Afghanistan!!![/font]

• TomThomson (12/30/2014)

Eirikur Eiriksson (12/30/2014)

That sounds as if we have something in common - whether it's an interest in languages (both human and computer) or a tendency to hoard useless information is perhaps a question we can leave to others. 🙂 The general tendency in the UK to ignore older languages (most English speakers I know can't even read Shakespeare, let alone Chaucer) and all languages other than English whether modern or old (except for the few whose native language is one of the Celtic languages, or Shelta, or Rom) doesn't just take me aback, it apalls me. :angry:

I know of but don't know much about the Travellers' languages and cant, seems to me for the reasons you mentioned that those left are indeed quickly vanishing. My source on cant is mainly a digitized copy of A New Dictionary of the Terms Ancient and Modern of the Canting Crew, fun to read on the commute.

😎

• Lynn Pettis (12/31/2014)

[font="Arial Black"]Happy New Year from far off Afghanistan!!![/font]

Same to you, Lynn!!!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• [font="Courier New"]Wish you all a happy new year![/font]

😎

• Just registered for PASS 2015.

• ... Mark one off, 58 days on the calendar to go. 58 days on the calendar to go, 58 days to go, ...

Viewing 15 posts - 46,756 through 46,770 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply