Are the posted questions getting worse?

• rodjkidd (10/22/2014)

Talk of barbecues and England reminds me of a party I went to years ago, the barbecue was one guy flipping burgers while another held an umbrella over the "chef" and food to keep the continuous downpour of rain away! Everyone else was inside watching...

Rodders...

Yep, that's the traditional British BBQ!

Typically served with lashings of alcohol so you don't feel the weather after a while... πŸ™‚

• Luis Cazares (10/22/2014)

I really feel bad for this guy. He keeps posting weird problems about SPs full of bad practices. I'm sure that he isn't the problem and the problem comes from his teacher.

That's part of the problem that delivers mediocre data professionals.

Yeah that requirement was a bit vague and I certainly wouldn't be returning messages from a search stored procedure like that.

• Ed Wagner (10/22/2014)

GilaMonster (10/22/2014)

Ed Wagner (10/22/2014)

The one thing they have in common is slow-roasting meat of some type.

A braai has nothing to do with slow roasting anything.

I guess I'll have to read more than one description of it. Either way, I'm certain to learn something new about food.

Hint: Meat (chops, steak, kebabs, wors, sometimes sausage, rarely burgers, never hotdogs), charcoal (not wood, though wood can be used if that's all you have), fire.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • spaghettidba (10/22/2014)

For me this is a grill

And this is a barbecue

Am I wrong?

I'd say both are grills here in the U.S.

• Jack Corbett (10/22/2014)

spaghettidba (10/22/2014)

For me this is a grill

And this is a barbecue

Am I wrong?

I'd say both are grills here in the U.S.

Both of those are grills. Barbecue is a method of preparing food and an event. "Real" barbeque (the food) isn't made on a grill like that, it usually involves slow roasting or smoking. However, the event called a "barbecue" is when people get together and eat food cooked on a grill like one of those (usually outdoors). The device used for cooking is a grill. Some regions may call it a "barbecue", but I think any grill would fall into that category in most regions where the term is used.

Of course, regionalisms mean it could be called most anything.

For example: In most of the USA, a blended milk and ice cream drink is called a Milk Shake

In Massachusetts and much of New England, it is called a Frappe

In Rhode Island it is called a Cabinet

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Stefan Krzywicki (10/22/2014)

For example: In most of the USA, a blended milk and ice cream drink is called a Milk Shake

... and I thought that Italy was a complicated country! :hehe:

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Ed Wagner (10/22/2014)

Sean Lange (10/22/2014)

BWFC (10/22/2014)

We had 80 odd people at the show in September so a whole pig could well be worth it. I've just got to convince a couple of people that barbecue is more than just burgers and sausages. This is definitely only the beginning, especially now there's so much less effort involved in getting a good result.

Glad to hear the new smoker is working well for you so far. Must be a pretty smoker if you can get a whole hog in there. I could maybe fit a half one in mine, but it would have to be chopped up first. πŸ™‚

Sean, did you get to see the pictures of my friend's large smoker? It was a few weeks ago just after the thread disappeared.

I did. It was pretty impressive but way too big for my needs about 99% of the time. My wife and my youngest don't like smoked meat. Myself and my oldest though are regulars. I smoke something at least once a week.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (10/23/2014)

Ed Wagner (10/22/2014)

Sean Lange (10/22/2014)

BWFC (10/22/2014)

We had 80 odd people at the show in September so a whole pig could well be worth it. I've just got to convince a couple of people that barbecue is more than just burgers and sausages. This is definitely only the beginning, especially now there's so much less effort involved in getting a good result.

Glad to hear the new smoker is working well for you so far. Must be a pretty smoker if you can get a whole hog in there. I could maybe fit a half one in mine, but it would have to be chopped up first. πŸ™‚

Sean, did you get to see the pictures of my friend's large smoker? It was a few weeks ago just after the thread disappeared.

I did. It was pretty impressive but way too big for my needs about 99% of the time. My wife and my youngest don't like smoked meat. Myself and my oldest though are regulars. I smoke something at least once a week.

Yeah, it's too big for me as well. But not for him. He uses it so much that he built a second one. He's already made a business out of it, gotten his kitchen (not the normal kitchen, but the new one) certified as a commercial kitchen and is selling to others. It'll give him something to do when he retires and he'll make good money at it. As you'd imagine, there's not much in the way of real barbeque up here in Michigan, so he cleans up. He could charge whatever he wants, but he still prices it reasonably.

• spaghettidba (10/21/2014)

Hi!

It's been a very long time since I last posted on THE thread...

Actually it's been a very long time since I posted regularly on the forums, but now I want to start again.

I've been very busy during the last two years and something had to go.

Now that I'm back, I'm glad to see that the same good people are still the soul of this community.

However, I'm a bit scared of the quality of the questions, which seem to have turned even worse (to go back to the original topic of THE thread).

I'm even more scared about the extreme slowness of the site. It's nearly unusable as it is.

Is it just me or does it load slowly for everyone?

Benvenuto e bentornato, Giancarlo.

The slowness is indeed awful at times; and it isn't consistent, it varies a lot.

Tom

• spaghettidba (10/22/2014)

Stefan Krzywicki (10/22/2014)

Well, according the land area shown on this page you could fit Italy in the US 31 times, so that gives you an idea of why different regions in the US have different terms and cultures in some cases. Talk about being complicated.

• Jack Corbett (10/23/2014)

Well, according the land area shown on this page you could fit Italy in the US 31 times, so that gives you an idea of why different regions in the US have different terms and cultures in some cases. Talk about being complicated.

The regional food can be great though. The war between NYC area and Chicago area over pizza, for one. There's a type of breakfast ham that is only found in northern NJ called Taylor Ham. They put green chilies on everything in New Mexico. There's different kinds of BBQ including North Carolina, Texas, Tennessee , etc..

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Jack Corbett (10/23/2014)

Well, it's not just a matter of size.

Italy has more languages and dialects than you would expect.

Wikipedia has a page on the topic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Italy

Italy hasn't even been a country until the end of the 19th century. Until that time it was a moltitude of states, each with its language and traditions.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• TomThomson (10/23/2014)

spaghettidba (10/21/2014)

Hi!

It's been a very long time since I last posted on THE thread...

Actually it's been a very long time since I posted regularly on the forums, but now I want to start again.

I've been very busy during the last two years and something had to go.

Now that I'm back, I'm glad to see that the same good people are still the soul of this community.

However, I'm a bit scared of the quality of the questions, which seem to have turned even worse (to go back to the original topic of THE thread).

I'm even more scared about the extreme slowness of the site. It's nearly unusable as it is.

Is it just me or does it load slowly for everyone?

Benvenuto e bentornato, Giancarlo.

The slowness is indeed awful at times; and it isn't consistent, it varies a lot.

Thanks Tom!

-- Gianluca Sartori

• spaghettidba (10/23/2014)

Jack Corbett (10/23/2014)

Wikipedia has a page on the topic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Italy

Italy hasn't even been a country until the end of the 19th century. Until that time it was a moltitude of states, each with its language and traditions.

And I thought we had a language problem in Belgium.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (10/24/2014)

spaghettidba (10/23/2014)

Jack Corbett (10/23/2014)

And I thought we had a language problem in Belgium.

How can that be?

😎

Viewing 15 posts - 46,246 through 46,260 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply