Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Stefan Krzywicki (5/15/2013)

patrickmcginnis59 10839 (5/15/2013)The whole point isn't how the complaints are overblown, the whole point here is that the complaints are getting attached to the Microsoft brand. They're relentless and eating away at Microsoft at the exact time that we're determining how the shift in computing pans out.

I've been using Microsoft products since their early days and I really can't remember a time when people weren't complaining about them. In an "end of the world" way too. It is amazing they've managed to struggle along.

Look at the difference with Apple, they are much more measured in which changes migrate to the desktop and which don't. I'm even acknowleging this and I've never personally purchased an Apple product.

And yet Apple nearly went out of business in the late 90s until Microsoft invested in them.

Keeping these two points together is key to my thinking. When Microsoft invested in Apple, Steve Jobs was just then maybe a year into his return. Like him or not, it would be worth its own thread to discuss what was more instrumental to Apples return, Mr. Jobs or the Microsoft investment. Now with Apple besting Microsoft by vast margins in new areas of the tech computing market, its worth noting that Microsoft also had a leader decrease his role in the business.

Sure we've always had detractors, heck during the NT4 days I was pretty darn negative myself. But this was during the heyday of Microsoft entering markets, especially the server market with a vengeance, Microsoft was already dominant on the desktop and the sky pretty much was the limit here. Now the entire industry is changing again, and instead of diving hard into obvious new product categories, Microsoft is trying to shoehorn an existing category into a new one. Maybe theres some voices at Redmond talking about using the existing desktop dominance to (oh whats the right word here, herd?) existing users into Microsoft's mobile computing vision, and I suspect thats probably a good reason why 8 is what it is, especially given the ease that Stardock has shown in repairing the interface, but really, if you can't compete effectively in the mobile space, you aren't going to gain marketshare by subsequently irritating your desktop users.

However, I can certainly accept that a certain percentage of the existing 8 users find it perfectly ok (heh at this point I should just copy and paste this into my replies!).

If its years and versions, thats going to be tough. This is not the time to plod along like that, especially with the glaring demonstration by startdock guys that the changes to the base product can be made by a relatively small team in comparison to Microsoft's resources.

Sure, but that's a mod to an existing product. Microsoft clearly could do this, but that's not what they want to do. They don't want to make people comfortable, they want to lead the way. Maybe a good idea, maybe not, but it is the kind of thing you have to commit to.

Well no, Stardock looks like their gaining mindshare because apparently some of us don't feel like committing to metro on the desktop. Without assistance from something like Stardock, I would in no way consider 8 considering my poor experience with the interface. I'm not even going to argue against folks calling 8 detractors somehow resistant to change, because I've taken the interface for a spin and know better. This line of debate is similar to lining up customers who have decided against your product, and berating them for their poor taste. In marketting, a mindset like that is just comical and not worth even discussing. But yes, I know this mindset well, I'm reading some of it right now, and its probably not a mindset I'm able to dissuade people of having.

The best reasoning I saw out there said that if you budget for a windows 8 desktop, budget for stardock as well. I think Microsoft could consider purchasing that company, clearly they could use the fresh thinking, pragmatism and ability to make desktops useable.

Buying a smaller company to get their tech works. Buying it to get corporate culture/fresh thinking, etc... just about never does.

Heck I'd wager that with Stardock it really is the fresh thinking, and I bet (and hope) theres some folks at Redmond paying attention. Heck, Apples resurgance has much to do with them purchasing Next, and Steve Jobs is nothing if not a corporate cultural icon.

• Why isn't it Friday yet?

• jasona.work (5/16/2013)

Why isn't it Friday yet?

Because you're living on the wrong continent. Or the wrong planet.

It's Friday somewhere that you are not. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (5/16/2013)

jasona.work (5/16/2013)

Why isn't it Friday yet?

I'm going to get that on a t-shirt...

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

jasona.work (5/16/2013)

Why isn't it Friday yet?

Is this the same philosophy that says "It's 5:00 somewhere - I'll have a drink!"?

• dbursey (5/16/2013)

Brandie Tarvin (5/16/2013)

jasona.work (5/16/2013)

Why isn't it Friday yet?

Is this the same philosophy that says "It's 5:00 somewhere - I'll have a drink!"?

Not quite. See "Friday somewhere" indicates other people get to have a fun weekend whereas "you" are stuck working and slaving and not having a fun upcoming weekend. So, kind of the opposite philosophy, actually.

Think more like, " No matter how hard you try, it will always be Friday somewhere you are not." Sort of like the old "life's a beach and then you drown" philosophy.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• HA! Microsoft does it again. (sort of)

Damn Excel! How the 'most important software application of all time' is ruining the world

HA! Microsoft does it again. (sort of)

Damn Excel! How the 'most important software application of all time' is ruining the world

Well, to be fair it is people using it wrong. The usual reason.

What's the phrase? It's a poor carpenter who blames their tools.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    Itโ€™s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    Whatโ€™s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Wait.... It's not always Friday somewhere. Unlike 5:00 (or after 5:00).

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• The Dixie Flatline (5/16/2013)

Wait.... It's not always Friday somewhere. Unlike 5:00 (or after 5:00).

I guess it would depend on the calendar used on other planets...

I mean, it *could* be Friday...

On Mars (maybe Sojurner is hoisting a tall cold one right now!)

๐Ÿ˜€

• Not to mention alternate universes.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• The Dixie Flatline (5/16/2013)

Not to mention alternate universes.

But you just did.

• Chad Crawford (5/16/2013)

The Dixie Flatline (5/16/2013)

Not to mention alternate universes.

But you just did.

Darn those picky details...

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• jasona.work (5/16/2013)

Why isn't it Friday yet?

It's thursday-palooza. Hour late start for school ๐Ÿ™‚

• I vote in favor of it being Friday.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 39,721 through 39,735 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply