Are the posted questions getting worse?

• L' Eomot InversΓ© (4/2/2012)

Anyway, it's all an evil plot by Craig to kill off the top point scorers - anyone with more than about 5000 points - so that he can climb to the top of the league.

Nono, it's just a plot by Evil Kraig! There is no good nor evil. There are only winners and "good facts", and losers with lying propaganda against the successful establishment. "Real Facts" are inconsequential.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• General solution for that is probably Buffalo Milk at Two Harbors.

That would be on Catalina Island.

• Big Bay Boater (4/2/2012)

General solution for that is probably Buffalo Milk at Two Harbors.

That would be on Catalina Island.

O.o Huh?

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

• Steve, looks like you'll be coming to SQLSaturday in Phoenix. It will be a pleasure to meet you. Looking forward to it more now. πŸ™‚

- Craig Farrell

• Evil Kraig F (4/2/2012)

Steve, looks like you'll be coming to SQLSaturday in Phoenix. It will be a pleasure to meet you. Looking forward to it more now. πŸ™‚

Too bad SQLSaturday in Phoenix is two weeks after I am in Arizona. I will be in Prescott 4/13 - 4/15. Driving down on the 13th and leaving on the 15th.

GSquared (4/2/2012)

GilaMonster (4/2/2012)

Evil Kraig F (3/30/2012)

GilaMonster (3/30/2012)

I read the end of that and I am not getting involved...

Initial gut feel - improper transaction management (leaves transactions open) combined with connection pooling. Connection gets discarded from pool and data that should have been committed and was thought committed suddenly vanishes.

If so, they'll see open transactions from the DMVs, possible log growth and locking (unless everything's running with nolock). It's a code problem, SQL doesn't just discard data randomly and if it was corruption they would know about it (connections getting closed with sev 24 errors)

Makes sense and was another possibility I'd thought of, but I don't have the front end app experience to help them directly or to even confirm that's the malfunction.

So... What do I win?

At least one more "point" on SSC.

I think we should convert "points" to "pints" and stand on Redgate's lawn with kegs and everyone gets a free one for each point.

Only condition: You have to drink them all that day.

Put up about 5000 whiteboards and see what comes out of a drunken mass of DBAs.

At least you didn't say "pants". πŸ˜›

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/2/2012)

Pints from Red Gate is a good idea, but at the rate I drink it would take me 5000 days to achieve alcohol toxicity.

5000 days isn't alcohol toxicity anymore. It's liver failure by that time.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Revenant (4/2/2012)

AUI, meaning Administering Under Influence.

Isn't that illegal?

I'm sure there's some sort of law against that... Or is the law for it? I can never remember.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Steve, looks like you'll be coming to SQLSaturday in Phoenix. It will be a pleasure to meet you. Looking forward to it more now. πŸ™‚

Ditto. It will be a quick trip for me, in Fri, out Sat, but looking forward to it.

• Brandie Tarvin (4/3/2012)

Revenant (4/2/2012)

Isn't that illegal?

I'm sure there's some sort of law against that... Or is the law for it? I can never remember.

Not sure it's illegal, but frowned upon for sure. We were warned a few times at JD Edwards as our deployments were on Fri night and we'd often go out for dinner as a team. Some times people might have a beer, which became an issue if we ever had problems during deployment.

• Brandie Tarvin (4/3/2012)

Revenant (4/2/2012)

Isn't that illegal?

I'm pretty sure Phil Factor would argue it should be mandatory.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (4/3/2012)

Brandie Tarvin (4/3/2012)

Revenant (4/2/2012)

Isn't that illegal?

I'm pretty sure Phil Factor would argue it should be mandatory.

come on now are you forgetting the ballmer peak?

http://xkcd.com/323/

it proves drinking improves your coding ability

For faster help in answering any problems Please read How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden[/url] for the best way to ask your question.

For performance Issues see how we like them posted here: How to Post Performance Problems - Gail Shaw[/url]

Need to Split some strings? Jeff Moden's DelimitedSplit8K[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 1[/url]
    Jeff Moden's Cross tab and Pivots Part 2[/url]

• No one ever forgets the Ballmer Peak.

No one ever expects the Spanish Inquisition.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Long time since I have been here.... Did I miss anything other than Spanish Inquisition?

-Roy

• Hey, I haven't gotten the newsletter for today, has anyone else had this issue?

Viewing 15 posts - 35,101 through 35,115 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply