Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GilaMonster (11/12/2010)

What's wrong with that question?

It's far more than just putting the server name in. There's all the VPN tools and remote access permissions to install and configure. All the time I worked at the bank I never had remote access to the network. Simply putting the server name into management studio would have resulted in a long delay and a 'SQL Server does not exist' error.

sorry, I didn't read the FULL question....apologies. :unsure:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• Henrico Bekker (11/12/2010)

...oh and I reached a 1000 point...small milestone ๐Ÿ˜€

Congratulations!

• RainbowFfolly (11/11/2010)

Alvin Ramard (11/5/2010)

Does dislocating my shoulder at least 13 times count?

Surgery twice didn't completely fix the problem. ๐Ÿ™

I've always wondered if by dislocating your shoulder you'd be able to kiss your own elbow (and therefore defeat one of Nature's cruelest ironies). I guess intense pain and a "what's happened to my shoulder?!?!" running through your mind were probably your more immediate concerns, but looking back do you think it would it have been at all possible?

Oh and thanks for your replies on my DW post - both have seriously helped me to get my head around what I was trying to think about. ๐Ÿ™‚

Glad to hear you got helpful answers.

Even when it was dislocated, my arm was still attached to my shoulder so there was no hope of kissing my elbow. ๐Ÿ˜›

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• CirquedeSQLeil (11/11/2010)

WayneS (11/11/2010)

WayneS (11/11/2010)

Well, I'm off to give my first presentation of "Comparing Tables Variables and Temporary Tables" to my UG tonight. Wish me good tidings, smooth talk, and all the other stuff you need for public speaking.

Well, I think it went pretty well. In a similar vein to Gail's "statistics" 5 times in a minute, I did get a little bit tongue-tied saying "tempdb" and "temporary tables" in the same sentence. I ran the PowerPoint presentation in presenter mode, but then ran into some minor issues flipping back and forth with SSMS and my virtual machine back to the slide. I might try setting up the monitor in slave mode the next time.

I started the presentation asking questions. Everyone thought that table variables were 1. memory-only, 2. did no logging, and 3. had no indexes. Now, about 20 more people know better.

Congrats and good job.

When can I book you to speak for my User Group - same topic?

Let me know when your tour swings by the midsouth. ๐Ÿ™‚

EDIT: My spell checquer is not working.

Alvin Ramard

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (11/12/2010)

RainbowFfolly (11/11/2010)

Alvin Ramard (11/5/2010)

Does dislocating my shoulder at least 13 times count?

Surgery twice didn't completely fix the problem. ๐Ÿ™

I've always wondered if by dislocating your shoulder you'd be able to kiss your own elbow (and therefore defeat one of Nature's cruelest ironies). I guess intense pain and a "what's happened to my shoulder?!?!" running through your mind were probably your more immediate concerns, but looking back do you think it would it have been at all possible?

Oh and thanks for your replies on my DW post - both have seriously helped me to get my head around what I was trying to think about. ๐Ÿ™‚

Glad to hear you got helpful answers.

Even when it was dislocated, my arm was still attached to my shoulder so there was no hope of kissing my elbow. ๐Ÿ˜›

I've had a dislocated shoulder and still get partial dislocations, it isn't as dramatic as it'd need to be to let you kiss your elbow or put your elbow in your ear. Just by looking at someone else, it is hard to tell if it is dislocated, it isn't that much of a physical change. If yours is dislocated though, you know it.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    Itโ€™s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    Whatโ€™s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Stefan Krzywicki (11/12/2010)

... If yours is dislocated though, you know it.

I second that emotion. Ouch!

Alvin Ramard

• Once everone who went to PASS is back (I think it is over now, yes?) is there any chance we'll get to hear your impressions of Denali? Did they tell you much about Projects Atlanta, Apollo or Crescent? I look forward to hearing what you all have to say.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.

• Paul, thanks for the reply. I understand now.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

Once everone who went to PASS is back (I think it is over now, yes?) is there any chance we'll get to hear your impressions of Denali? Did they tell you much about Projects Atlanta, Apollo or Crescent? I look forward to hearing what you all have to say.

I've only done a tiny bit of reading. I'm happy with some of the changes I see related to SSIS. I'll probably be downloading that CTP once I finish building my dev/test system.

Alvin Ramard

Once everone who went to PASS is back (I think it is over now, yes?)

No, today's the postcon day (should be starting in about an hour).

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I swear this project is going to drive me to drink.

Email from BA/architect:

Urgent! Business confirms that it is possible to have more than one X per Y. Out design must cater for this.

My reply:

During my initial analysis I identified that this was the case based on a discussion with <someone>. The current system design allows for any number of X per Y and has done so since the beginning.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

CirquedeSQLeil (11/11/2010)

I have a few articles that I am finishing up currently.

Topics?

Physical Join Operators

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Paul White NZ (11/11/2010)

Did you also bust the myth that table variables are always estimated as containing one row?

Statement level recompile?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

I swear this project is going to drive me to drink.

Email from BA/architect:

Urgent! Business confirms that it is possible to have more than one X per Y. Out design must cater for this.

My reply:

During my initial analysis I identified that this was the case based on a discussion with <someone>. The current system design allows for any number of X per Y and has done so since the beginning.

LOL, that's always one of my favorite exchanges. "Yes, I know. We talked about this. I listened and made sure it would work. You just run along and let the grownups handle this." I go back and forth between thinking they just can't keep the entire scope in their heads and thinking they come up with these "emergencies" to show they are working.

However, it'd be nice if it drives you to drink, then you don't have to worry about a designated driver. You'd hate to drive yourself!

Once everone who went to PASS is back (I think it is over now, yes?) is there any chance we'll get to hear your impressions of Denali? Did they tell you much about Projects Atlanta, Apollo or Crescent? I look forward to hearing what you all have to say.

I've got the CTP downloaded and am setting up an environment for it. What I have read and seen of it so far - I like it.

We'll see once I get my environment setup and I have time to test.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 21,406 through 21,420 (of 66,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply