Applying SQL Server 2019 CU 14 cause's master database corruption

• I've just recently applied the SQL Server 2019 CU14 to two of our testing servers with no problem. Then when applying this CU to our staging environment the install failed and left me with a corrupted Master Database which meant the SQL Server Service wouldn't start and luckily I had a Master database backup to work from. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

• As a thought - is your master database valid (ie not corrupt) prior to installing that update?  I would run checkdb on it and verify that it is valid as it COULD be the database is corrupt.

Now, when you say "corrupt", what is the EXACT error message you are getting?  I've seen cases where an update caused odd problems on my side, but it was due to our failover software not behaving like I expected during the upgrade and it caused some logins to lose permissions on master.  I was able to recover but it took me a little bit to figure things out.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• that has happened often enough over last few years - and not only with that CU - some of the scripts that are part of the upgrade process are not a "sturdy" as they used to be and can cause the upgrade to fail - and then SQL is stuck on a loop trying to start up and execute some script that keeps failing.

And on the cases where it happened on my organization DB's were not corrupted - just restoring from backups and reapplying CU worked second time. so go figure out what went wrong.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply