Application generating DAC error

• I have an application that is generating the following error:

Error updating counts: A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the pre-login handshake. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The specified network name is no longer available.)

In the SQL Server error log, I'm getting the following:

Could not connect because the maximum number of '1' dedicated administrator connections already exists. Before a new connection can be made, the existing dedicated administrator connection must be dropped, either by logging off or ending the process

There are no active DA connections and I can successfully establish a DAC. I appear to be the only one having this issue. Could there be something local in my environment that would cause this application to seek out the DAC?

• The app is probably specifying a port number (eg. 1434 is the default DAC port) in the connection.

• Yeah, I appreciate the response. The servers are using dynamic ports, so that is not the case. Additionally, I've noticed another 'application' (a series of powershell scripts) I've put together will access the DAC when pulling properties from a server object:

$InstanceObject = New-Object ('Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Server') -argumentlist $InstanceName

More info, the powershell scripts run across multiple servers but only access the DAC port on one server.

• Are there multiple SQL instances on that box?

What port is the DAC running on?

xp_readerrorlog 0,1,'Dedicated Admin Connection'

Also, what happens if you disable remote access to the DAC and retry the app?

EXEC sp_configure 'remote admin connections', 0

GO

RECONFIGURE

GO

• Turning off Remote DAC causes both apps in question to fail to connect entirely. This only occurs from my machine. I checked firewall rules, no luck there. There's something that's causing these two apps, despite neither specifying a port, to try to force a port.

• Do you have any SQL aliases setup on your machine?

(Run cliconfg.exe)

What happens if you directly specify the IP\instancename in your connection?

eg (172.1.1.1\myInstance)

When you connect to object explorer through SSMS, select TCP/IP as the protocol and also try the IP (it will say DAC is not supported for object explorer if it uses the wrong port)

• Andrew G (1/16/2014)

Do you have any SQL aliases setup on your machine?

(Run cliconfg.exe)

That was it. Awesome, thanks!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply