Apostrophes ' inside a SQL table

• Hi all

How can I escape the apostrophes when I am using the variables inside a .net script?

See below:

I have a table which contains a column (VARCHAR) [FileSystemPath], amongst others, the FileSystemPath column has data stored which includes apostrophes in the text eg:

Alistair_McGowan's Big Impression_S4_Captions_Jan_2013_550585858.doc

Now when I query this table the results are returned just fine.

SELECT FileSystemPath from TABLE

\\wwfis1012a\DocumentStore\Sku\ABAYY122L\Alistair_McGowan's Big Impression_S4_Captions_Jan_2013_550585858.doc

Which is fine Smile

However I need to get another value [OriginalName] based on the filesystempath

SELECT [OriginalName] from Table

Where FileSystemPath = 'Alistair_McGowan's Big Impression_S4_Captions_Jan_2013_550585858.doc'

Which gives me the expected error: Incorrect syntaxt near 's Big_' Unclosed quotation mark after the character string '

Now, of course, normally if I was running this query I would simply escape the ' in the McGowan's and everything would be fine...

However I am doing all of this query inside a .net script within SSIS, I have around 250,000 records to go through.

Here is my script below the important thing here is the variable User::SingleFileName is the aforementioned Alaistair McGowan etc.,

Dim fileSystemPath As String

fileSystemPath = Dts.Variables("User::SingleFileName").Value

Dts.Variables("User::destNameSQLQuery").Value = "" & _

"select [OriginalName] from [Bbc.Ww.Wam.Migration2012.Database].dbo.[PreSalesSKU_ForRename] " & _

"where FileSystempath = '" & fileSystemPath & "'"

Which equates to

select [OriginalName] from [Bbc.Ww.Wam.Migration2012.Database].dbo.[PreSalesSKU_ForRename]

where FileSystempath =

'wwlis1021a\\DocumentStore\\Sku\\ABAY122L\\Alistair_McGowan's_Big_ Impression_S4_Captions_Jan_2013_634940195179370992.doc'

which of course fails. 🙁

So my question is: How can I escape the apostrophes when I am using the variables inside a .net script?

Any help greatly greatly received.

Paul

• Paul, surely you just use the REPLACE function (or its .Net equivalent) on FileSystempath to replace each single quote with two single quotes?

John

• Yes I did 🙂 I can't believe how much time I spent trying to find something 'clever'! What a plumb!

Thanks for your suggestion

Paul

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply