Anyway to split Native SQL Server COmpressed DB Backup

• I need to upload a backup of a DB but the size is greater then what is allowed so I need to split the backup file into smaller sizes that are no greater then 10GB each. The Backup was done via SSMS using the COmpression option to compress the backup. ANyone know of a way to split compressed SQL Servcer DB Backups?

Thanks

Kindest Regards,

Just say No to Facebook!
  • Hi YSLGuru, 😀

You can split backups over multiple files within SSMS or, if you already have a backup, split it with a compression tool like winzip, winrar, etc

Hope it helps. 😎

Jonathan Bernardez Bernardez

• You could always restore the backup so you can then back it up splitting it across multiple backup files to ensure they are less than 10GB.

• I'm pretty sure you can use one of the file splitting utilities to break them apart and put them back together even though they're encrypted. Other than that, you could split them during backup as was suggested, but that can be dangerous.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (10/21/2013)

I'm pretty sure you can use one of the file splitting utilities to break them apart and put them back together even though they're encrypted. Other than that, you could split them during backup as was suggested, but that can be dangerous.

Grant, why would it be dangerous to split the file during the backup process?

I assume we're talking about using something similar to the following script:

BACKUP DATABASE [db_name] TO

DISK = N'file1.bak',

DISK = N'file2.bak'

The opinions expressed herein are strictly personal and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of my employer.

• Only because instead of managing a single file now you're managing many. Sometimes it's the only way to get the job done, but it does add a wrinkle that makes things less stable. That's all I meant.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (10/22/2013)

Only because instead of managing a single file now you're managing many. Sometimes it's the only way to get the job done, but it does add a wrinkle that makes things less stable. That's all I meant.

Ok, I can see that. Just wanted to be sure there wasn't something else that I was missing.

The opinions expressed herein are strictly personal and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of my employer.

• Interesting comments... One thing that was not mentioned was if this process is a one-off or will be a part of a regular backup procedure. If it is a one-off then splitting the backup into multiple files is no big deal. However, if it is going to be a part of a regular production backup process, the DBA has to keep in mind there are more files to manage than a single backup file.

Kurt

Kurt W. Zimmerman
    SR DBA
    Lefrak Organization
    New York, NY

http://www.linkedin.com/in/kurtwzimmerman

• Like Kurt said is this a one off or a on-going thing. If it is a one-off and you don't want to use a tool to split the encrypted backup make sure you take the backup as a copy-only backup and then you won't have to worry about the extra files since they won't be part of your backup chain.

Microsoft Certified Master - SQL Server 2008
    Follow me on twitter: @keith_tate

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply