Anybody use Sybase?

• I know this might not be the right place, but does anybody have any manuals or know where i can find them for Sybase?

i am sad to say that a new product we brought in uses it.

Never stop learning or you will be left behind.
  • Yep.. Which flavour of Sybase though? There's ASA (Adaptive Server Anywhere), ASE (Adaptive Server Enterprise), ADS (Advantage Database Server)....

In the long long ago the Sybase schema was developed in part with Microsoft. They split and developed the same schema in different ways, which is why there are still some parts of the database that are similar.

What are you trying to do exactly?

SQL SERVER Central Forum Etiquette[/url]

• SQL anywhere 8

basically i want to learn about it to keep the vendor honest. I don't like just having to wait for them to troubleshoot something and take 4 hours himhahing around. It sounds bad, but happens a lot to us and i have to call shenanigans a lot. I want to learn at least basic management and troubleshooting maybe performance testing and how it handles security.

Thats the basics so i have an understanding of how it interacts.

Thanks for the reply.

• ASA 8 can be great as some of the SQL syntax is good, like the use of key joins whereby the SQL engine will automatically link tables based on the foreign keys, however it can be a little hard to analyse queries. You should be able to find a list of system procedures like sp_who, and to find locking you can use SA_CONN_INFO

You can have a dig round here: http://sybooks.sybase.com/nav/base.do

for some documentation, the help files are pretty decent. You may have to create a login for the site, but you'll be able to download different things, I downloaded some old patches for our ASA6/8 servers a while ago, so you shouldn't have too much trouble getting what you need.

There's also a text based admin guide here: http://manuals.sybase.com/onlinebooks/group-sas/awg0800e/dbdaen8/@Generic__BookTextView/1;pt=8

Cheers,

Jim.

SQL SERVER Central Forum Etiquette[/url]

• cw.izatt (6/13/2011)

I know this might not be the right place, but does anybody have any manuals or know where i can find them for Sybase?

i am sad to say that a new product we brought in uses it.

I had worked on Sybase ASE 12.5 some time back, but one thing I didn't like about working in Sybase is the lack of a good user community. For SQL Server, it is quite easy to get answers because of a good user base. No wonder you had post in a SQL Server forum to get answers related to Sybase.

M&M

• Thanks Jim i will take a look. Yeah i had not even heard about it until the vendor said it was based in sybase. They say it's getting ported to SQL server, but i will believe it when I see it.

• Jim-720070 (6/14/2011)

In the long long ago the Sybase schema was developed in part with Microsoft. They split and developed the same schema in different ways, which is why there are still some parts of the database that are similar.

Well... this is not entirely accurate.

As I understand it, in the beginning it was SyBase then Microsoft bought SyBase source code and re-branded it SQL Server 4.0 - please note "SQL Server" is the name of SyBase database engine 😀 As time went on Microsoft rewrote the whole thing from scratch and SQL Server 7.0 was born.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply