Any point in backup of MDF/NDF/LDF files

• We are running into some challenges with our nightly disk/disk/tape backups. The amount of data being backed up is huge and pushing the limits of our nighttime backup window. We use Symantec NetBackup.

My question is: is there any point in capturing MDF/NDF/LDF files in nightly file backups? I'm aware that copied data and log files could be useless if attempting to attach, but not sure if there may be a good reason to hang onto them that I'm unaware of. Right now our backup policy captures them along with the actual bak backups, but we may be able to shave off some significant time usage if they were excluded.

• Personally, I have the mdf/ndf/ldf files skipped on the server level backups. I have scheduled full/differential/transaction log backups handling the databases. As long as those files (bak/trn) are getting backed up off the server I am happy.

• As long as database backups are taken I would not backup up the MDF, NDF or LDF files. Its redundant and less usefull.

• MDFs, NDFs, and LDFs are locked files. When you do a full system backup, have MDF,LDF, and NDFs put in your exclude list.

If you did a full system restore and tried to attach those files again, you would get an error saying those files are locked by another process.

• Agreed. This is SOP almost everywhere I've been.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Thanks, all. It seems every post confirms my thoughts on exclusion.

Love the community here, I knew I'd get some good answers.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply