Any performance issues Using @@trancount in Try and Catch methods

• hi every one,

i am using the below sp for updating three tables at a time with try and catch block. is there any performance issues by using this or any possible errors.

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

ALTER PROC [dbo].test

(@name VARCHAR(40)

,@name1 varchar(50)

)

AS

BEGIN

SET NOCOUNT ON

create table #temp(id int not null identity(1,1),primary key, valuestostore varchar(50))

insert into #temp (valuestostore )select perval from users where

name=@name;

BEGIN TRY

BEGIN TRANSACTION

UPDATE emp

SET vcname=@name1

WHERE valname in (select valuestostore from #temp);

UPDATE dept

SET vcname=@name1

UPDATE sal

SET vcname=@name1

COMMIT

END TRY

BEGIN CATCH

IF @@TRANCOUNT >0

-- SELECT ERROR_NUMBER

ROLLBACK

END CATCH

DROP TABLE #TEMP

END

• No, that's appropriate. However I would include the rollback in the preceeding "if" block like this:

IF @@TRANCOUNT > 0

begin

-- error handling

ROLLBACK -- no rollback if @@trancount = 0

end

The probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival.

• hi sturner,

Thank you. one more thing,What happens when first update statement succeed,second one fails and thrid one succeed?

Is there any major difference between @@transcount and xact_state(). it seems both are same,can we use xact_state() in above scenario or @@transcount will be better....

Thanks

Rock..

• I believe for your purposes here they are equivalent, however it is better to use xact_state() for reasons I won't elaborate on.

It doesn't matter which one or how many of the updates fail, the processing will end up in the catch block for you to roll back. Of course, if you needed to know which one failed you could set a flag or something after each update, then it may be possible (depending upon the error) for you to take alternate action and ultimately commit the transaction.

The probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply