Another Audit Trigger

• This is a trigger to record Updates to a table that I modified from O’Reilly’s “Transact-SQL Cookbook”. The goal is to save space in the audit table by only storing values that have actually changed. When I tried the original version, I discovered that the trigger would not record the value of a column that was updated from a Null value to an actual value. I then added some additional logic which records the changed value regardless of whether the original value was a Null value or an actual value.

CREATE TRIGGER AuditUpdate

ON [Table]

FOR UPDATE

AS

BEGIN

INSERT INTO AuditTrail(TableName, Action, NetUserID, Node, ActionDate, EventID, [Column_Name])

SELECT 'TableName', 'O', system_user, host_name(), current_timestamp, newid(),

(CASE WHEN d.[ColumnName]!=i.[ColumnName] THEN d.[ColumnName] ELSE NULL END)

FROM deleted d, inserted i

WHERE d.[ColumnName]=i.[ColumnName]

/* 'O' indicates this row is storing Old values.*/

INSERT INTO AuditTrail(TableName, Action, NetUserID, Node, ActionDate, EventID, [Column_Name])

SELECT 'TableName', 'N', system_user, host_name(), current_timestamp, newid(),

/* Here is the logic which overcame the problem of not recording a change from a Null value to an actual value */

(CASE WHEN d.[ColumnName] IS NULL THEN i.[ColumnName] WHEN d.[ColumnName]!=i.[ColumnName] THEN i.[ColumnName] ELSE NULL END)

FROM deleted d, inserted i

WHERE d.[ColumnName]=i.[ColumnName]

/* 'N' indicates this row is storing New values.*/

END

/* The original logic was as follows: */

/*

(CASE WHEN d.[ColumnName]!=i.[ColumnName] THEN i.[ColumnName] ELSE NULL END)

*/

“If you're not outraged at the media, you haven't been paying attention.”

• Cool.

• Here is what you actually need to be using in a trigger:

IF UPDATED( ColumnName ) ...

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply