Analysis Services Tabular Hardware Specs

• Does anyone have some insights on what the optimal machine would be to run Analysis Services Tabular? Specifically a server/machine/alienware which would be optimal?

Or atleast the key specifications of a machine I could take somewhere to build?

• joeshu26 (9/23/2015)

Does anyone have some insights on what the optimal machine would be to run Analysis Services Tabular? Specifically a server/machine/alienware which would be optimal?

Or atleast the key specifications of a machine I could take somewhere to build?

Quick thougt, the technologies used in the ssas tabular are optimized for in memory operations and further they are designed for utilizing the processor's cache as much as possible. A possible spec list in order of importance could therefore be:

😎

1. Processor cache size

2. Memory bus speed

3. Memory size

4. Processor speed

5. Storage read performance

etc. etc.

Obviously in order to fully answer your question, some more information is required, both quantitative and qualitative, so tell us a little bit more.

• Thanks for response Eirikur,

Ideally it would be a machine that would have between 4-8 users connect to the server/machine.

It would be performing complex DAX calculations where most likely materializations and spooling would be occurring.

I was thinking possibly:

2 socket 8 core setup or a 1 socket 4 core setup

Fastest cores available

Fast CPU processor

Large L2 cache

Large Physical RAM (64/128 GB)

Fastest RAM speed

Fast Bus MHz

Some of these might be redundant, but its what I've found in researching...

Is there a model# server/machine that would fit this build or close to?

• If it is being build on a budget then Super-micro would probably be the first choice, Dell has still a good bang for the buck in the mid-range and if performance is the goal, $50K+ HP ProLiant DL580 Gen9 does pack some real punch.

😎

• Awesome thanks! 50K is a bit much, will probably look for something more budget friendly...

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply