Analysis Services fails to start after master database rebuild/restore

• Hi all,

We have a 2-node cluster with SQL Database Engine and Analysis Services installed. We recently had a corruption of the master database, which led to me having to rebuild it then restore it (followed by the rest of the system databases) from the most recent backups.

The database engine is now working fine, but the SSAS instance will not come back online. I can't find any useful information in the logs :-/

Could anyone offer some advice please?

Thanks,

Matt

• Did you check the Event Viewer or just the SQL logs?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• I checked both - there are errors in the Event Viewer but no useful error messages. Unfortunately I suspect the installation may be corrupt in some way, but I don't know if there's an easy way to fix it on a cluster as it's not possible to remove and reinstall SSAS (not sure if there's a way to run a repair on the installation?)

• As long as you have the install files, there's always a way to run repair.

Unfortunately, you're not giving much detail that enables anyone to assist. I know you say the error messages aren't useful, but what makes you determine that? Have you googled them at all? Can you post the logs of what happened right around the time SSAS tried to start (including informational and warning messages along with the errors)?

The messages may not mean much to you, but they may mean something to someone else. Without having any detail at all, it's hard for any of us to say "your problem is X".

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• These are the only errors I get....

In the event viewer:

The service cannot be started: Message-handling subsystem: The message manager for the default locale cannot be found. The locale will be changed to US English. Message-handling subsystem: The message manager for the default locale cannot be found. The locale will be changed to US English.

(Followed by an informational message just saying "Service stopped")

Then in Cluster Manager I just get:

Cluster resource 'Analysis Services' in clustered service or application 'SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER)' failed.

I'm not sure if there are any other logs specific to SSAS anywhere?

• What actually happened to the cluster did it throw a disk?

as its possible a file that SSAS needs to start up may be corrupt or missing.

This might help you diagnose a little more http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/de9f27b6-36ba-4180-9970-138e2c234a05/fail-to-start-analysis-services-engine

or some pointers on what to look for.

• Jason-299789 (9/18/2014)

What actually happened to the cluster did it throw a disk?

as its possible a file that SSAS needs to start up may be corrupt or missing.

This might help you diagnose a little more http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/de9f27b6-36ba-4180-9970-138e2c234a05/fail-to-start-analysis-services-engine

or some pointers on what to look for.

Thanks, that looks really helpful!

It was a strange problem that caused it - we currently have 4 2-node SQL clusters and access to all of them dropped out simultaneously before coming back online, so I believe it was either a temporary fault with the network or the SAN. I had to restart 3 of the clusters to get them back online but the fourth wouldn't come back up after complaining the master database was corrupt, so I recovered that and got the Database Engine back ok but couldn't get SSAS working.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply