alert.log equivalent

• What is the alert.log (in Oracle) equivalent for SQL Server?

Apart from making sure that MSSQLServer service is running how else can you be sure that your SQL Server databases are up and running?

How can you Look for segments in the database that are running out of resources (e.g. extents) or growing at an excessive rate.

What other daily checks would you perform on your SQL Server databases as a DBA?

• In Eterprise Manager you can drill thru to management of a server and you will find a listing for SQL Server Logs. Also many major items will be posted to Event Viewer in NT. The logs are under the log folder where SQL Server was installed to unless you changed it.

The best thing you can do so you do not have to keep your eye on SQL to monitor thins is to setup performance and condition alerts. These can be fired when Transaction Log is full or space is nearing capacity. Then you set these to either email, net send (alert message popup), or even page you with the message.

There are other things you can do to check on performance but there is a lot to cover. I suggest check this site and http://www.sql-server-performance.com there are many resources on both that can help you decide what is best for your needs to monitor or check periodically.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply