Alert for Stack dump error

• Hello All,

i am looking to setup "stack dump " error alert form error log.

i doesn't happen alot but once in a while our system generates this error.

this their a way I can setup alert for this, i can put in " STACK DUMP BEGIN"

in the "raise error if text include" field in the alert but what about the error number or severity level I need to define.

Thanks in advance

• A "stack dump" isn't a specific error. It's what Windows does when it's logging certain errors. There isn't an "error code" or "error number" for a stack dump.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• so is there a way i can set up alert for stack dump situation? i searched on the google.... and this question has been asked couple of times but without any response.

Thanks in advance.

• You want to setup an sql alert for a window error???

See the dis-connect here???

Log the errors in the front end, in the sql logs and go from there.

If windows is crashing then you need to ask IT admin to fix that.

• Thanks for the reply,

sorry i was away and just came back today.

i understand the stack dump is a windows error but my point is

it does get written in the sql server error log, is there is way i can pick it up when it happens

alert of sorts.

i just want to be notified when ever it gets written on the error

can i set some thing some on the server side?

Thanks in advance

• Has this been answered anywhere? I am looking for the same thing. For instance, you get a dump within SQL for non-yielding schedulers, is there some way to notify for that? a trace flag that tells SQLDumper to send a notification? SQL is able to generate the dump so it must have the resources necessary to do so, and should be able to alert via email in that case. I understand some situations would be where it simply couldn't but not all dumps are complete crashes of SQL. In my case the dump occurred at 1:30 AM and had we been notified, we could have jumped on and prevented the crash that occurred at 8 AM when the business had started to try and use the environment.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply