Aging Software

• GoofyGuy (10/7/2015)

Eric M Russell wrote:

IoT appliances benefit service providers more than it does consumers.

I guess I'll trot out my capitalist top-hat and say that if consumers are willing to accept the goods and services offered by IoT service providers, it's entirely voluntary and mutually beneficial.

And anyhow, all I have in my fridge is a jar of olives and a six-pack of PBR with five cans left. Not much of interest to anyone. Especially the PBR.

What's annoying is that as we go on there is no "low tech" option for more and more products.

• * turning green with beer envy *

It's a nice convenience, but I don't take advantage of it very much since I have to be a responsible adult and all, 99.999 percent of the time.

But if we ever get IoT self driving cars or I can train my dog to tow me home in a wagon, I'll have it made!

• GoofyGuy (10/7/2015)

Eric M Russell wrote:

I guess I'll trot out my capitalist top-hat and say that if consumers are willing to accept the goods and services offered by IoT service providers, it's entirely voluntary and mutually beneficial.

And anyhow, all I have in my fridge is a jar of olives and a six-pack of PBR with five cans left. Not much of interest to anyone. Especially the PBR.

Not so fast - you never can tell what they care about. There were documented incidents earlier in the Boston Area where a ring of house robbers went around sniffing out "smart devices" and asking them when they were last triggered (so they could figure out if anyone was home).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Matt Miller (#4) (10/7/2015)

GoofyGuy (10/7/2015)

Eric M Russell wrote:

Not so fast - you never can tell what they care about. There were documented incidents earlier in the Boston Area where a ring of house robbers went around sniffing out "smart devices" and asking them when they were last triggered (so they could figure out if anyone was home).

Yeah, and when manufacturers and retailers start embedding RFID tags in all the products we buy, the crooks will stand on the street corner with a UPC scanner to identify the most lucrative targets.

Like, that guy who just walked out of the store with a six pack of Pabst beer probably doesn't have more than a few bucks in his wallet, but that nice looking lady with the grocery bag full of microwave dinners and high end cat food probably lives alone.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Like, that guy who just walked out of the store with a six pack of Pabst beer probably doesn't have more than a few bucks in his wallet ...

And could I borrow another twenty from you until payday, please?

• GoofyGuy (10/7/2015)

Like, that guy who just walked out of the store with a six pack of Pabst beer probably doesn't have more than a few bucks in his wallet ...

And could I borrow another twenty from you until payday, please?

You should put all your money in to a Bitcoin system! Of course, turning it in to cash conveniently is another issue...

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• Eric M Russell (10/7/2015)

Like, that guy who just walked out of the store with a six pack of Pabst beer probably doesn't have more than a few bucks in his wallet

Actually, he'd probably be the right guy to hit because he's probably an eccentric billionaire that got that way by not spending all his money on beer. 😉 Heh... now let's see the IoT figure THAT one out! :w00t:

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• GoofyGuy (10/7/2015)

Eric M Russell wrote:

It really just depends. I see a great deal of benefit if I happen to use the bathroom and my toilet detects I could potentially have cancer based on certain types of proteins in the water. Then it schedules my doctors appointment right away and I'm off to recovery.

Maybe I'm running one day and a piece of technology I'm wearing in my clothes is able to detect a heart murmur it didn't detect before. It suggests an issue with my heart and I take the recommendation and it schedules me an appointment with a local cardo in the area. Then I find out I've had a Bicuspid Aortic Valve all my life that was never detected at birth that is causing me to have an aneurysm in both my aortic region and in my brain.

While there is certainly a lot of useless uses and potentially invasion of privacy uses for businesses, there is also a lot of good uses too. I feel there will be some really revolutionary ideas to come out of it that will lead the way of tomorrow.

• xsevensinzx (10/7/2015)

It really just depends. I see a great deal of benefit if I happen to use the bathroom and my toilet detects I could potentially have cancer based on certain types of proteins in the water. Then it schedules my doctors appointment right away and I'm off to recovery.

And only after exhausting your benefits do they figure out that it was just a bad sausage you ate the night before. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• I have friends who are mechanics. They tell me that they get a lot of business from vehicles predating a point in time then a gap then vehicles after a point in time.

Their explanation is that mechanically sound, rust free vehicles are being scrapped because the cost of fixing the electronics is not economic. So much is wired through a central computer that the vehicle is absolutely dependent on .

• There is a balancing act we must all in IT adhere to. Keep something running 'as is' because it just runs... versus spending a lot of money and time to upgrade. At some point old systems need to be replaced or upgraded due to the fact that the folks that have the knowledge on how to keep it running leave the company or that skillset goes away.... SQL Server 6.5.. Windows NT, code....

I have been critical of Microsoft releasing new versions of SQL Server sometimes in less than 2 years of a timespan. However, the instability of older versions of operating systems and SQL Server can make upgrading a welcomed thing. SQL Server 6.5 and Windows NT were not very stable honestly. To me once we got to SQL2008R2 and Win2008 things are rock solid stable. We just got rid of our last SQL2000 dbs in May this year... took quite a long time to accomplish that. For SQL2005 I am really prodding app folks so we can have all if not almost all of our systems off of Win2003/SQL2005 by the time it goes out of extended support next Spring. I have even begun the push for upgrading some SQL2008 databases in an attempt to keep ahead of that 2019 date. With the massive amount of things in SQL2008 and 2008R2 I know we will still have stuff running those versions well into 2020.

• Jeff Moden (10/7/2015)

Eric M Russell (10/7/2015)

Like, that guy who just walked out of the store with a six pack of Pabst beer probably doesn't have more than a few bucks in his wallet

Actually, he'd probably be the right guy to hit because he's probably an eccentric billionaire that got that way by not spending all his money on beer. 😉 Heh... now let's see the IoT figure THAT one out! :w00t:

Sadly, some of the smartest data analyst in the world focus their energy into "great endeavors" like: landing spam in our inbox, enticing us to switch cell phone providers, or compiling massive databases containing the health and spending history of every American, just so they can target us with adds for a new drug prescription or investment scheme.

Despite all the hype, investment, mainstreaming, and promise... Does the Internet Of Things and Big Data really matter?

Maybe we're at the point where we need to ask this question, before we get too entangled in the technology. That would be a great topic for a TED Talk conference.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell (10/8/2015)

... Despite all the hype, investment, mainstreaming, and promise... Does the Internet Of Things and Big Data really matter?

Maybe we're at the point where we need to ask this question, before we get too entangled in the technology. That would be a great topic for a TED Talk conference.

The old adage "Just because we CAN do something doesn't mean we SHOULD do something." Maybe it was last night's sausage, maybe it's a heart valve about to fail. Some IoT will probably be beneficial and could save lives, other are just silly frippery that will sell then fall from view. They're making amazing advances coupling things with smartphones. You can now do chromotography with smartphones, you can get breathalyzers for smartphones, they have rigs for doing blood tests via smartphones in third world countries. (There's also gear for doing blood tests using bubblewrap, but I haven't looked in to it.)

So there's personal function, beneficial function, and frippery. But how much security is there going to be, and how much will drive ever bigger data-driven marketing and profiling in the background? Not to mention the ability of connected devices to be compromised and used against us: smart TV video cameras, baby monitors, our own smartphones useable as microphones when seemingly turned off?

It's a world ripe for abuse and we know we're being abused, to varying degrees, already by corps and our government. How much additional abuse are we willing to invite for trivial conveniences and for fun?

The future is now, but there's this big cloud over the horizon produced by criminal hackers and the NSA.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• While there is certainly a lot of useless uses and potentially invasion of privacy uses for businesses, there is also a lot of good uses too. I feel there will be some really revolutionary ideas to come out of it that will lead the way of tomorrow.

Yes, but again, I'll trot out my capitalist top-hat and suggest the marketplace will determine which are the 'good uses'.

(I can't believe I started off in life as the grandson of a couple of Marxists!)

• All the folks committed to psychiatric hospitals during past decades, because they were convinced their TV and refrigerator were spying on them, we can let them all out now.

They're no longer crazy in 2015. :crazy:

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply