Aggregate navigator

• Does SQL Server have an inbuilt aggregate navigator?

• Never hear that term. What does that do?

I'm thinking cube & analysis services right now in case you want to research that briefly before you next post.

• I am learning a course on Data Warehousing. Any fact table in a data warehouse may be accompanied by aggregate fact tables to improve the query (group by queries) performance. But how does the database know about the presence of aggregate tables and optimize the queries targeted to the main fact table by utilizing the aggregate tables?

The solution is an aggregate navigator which is a middle ware that sits between the user queries and the DBMS. An aggregate navigator will receive the query to the original fact table and suitably modifies it to use the aggregations if necessary (resulting in performance or speed). So it will result in faster querying without having the end user knowing about the existence of different aggregation fact tables.

• Way out of my league... can't help you on that one.

• Have you researched SSAS (Analysis Services) as Ninja suggested?

! am learning a course on Data Warehousing. Any fact table in a data warehouse may be accompanied by aggregate fact tables to improve the query (group by queries) performance. But how does the database know about the presence of aggregate tables and optimize the queries targeted to the main fact table by utilizing the aggregate tables?

The solution is an aggregate navigator which is a middle ware that sits between the user queries and the DBMS. An aggregate navigator will receive the query to the original fact table and suitably modifies it to use the aggregations if necessary (resulting in performance or speed). So it will result in faster querying without having the end user knowing about the existence of different aggregation fact tables.

your response above appears to be several "statements of fact"....and a rather vague question......pls post back.

• Thanks Ninja's_RGR'us and J Livingston SQL 🙂

I did found some information about adding aggregations on data cubes in OLAP at MSDN.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174758(v=sql.90).aspx

Does SQL Server Database Engine has any way of defining the aggregations (as part of data warehouse design) without going for OLAP?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply