After Insert Trigger

• I am using AFTER INSERT trigger to send an email to the user using database mail.  Everthing is OK. The question is that How can I include the data of that particular inserted row to be included in the email?

• You can get the details of the new rows from the inserted table. It will contain all the rows that were inserted by the statement that fired the trigger.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • How? Any select statement? I read in books online, "SELECT * from deleted" but when I include this line in my trigger, using @query parameter of database mail, it doesn't work 

• Insert into temp table and the use  temp table in send mail...

MohammedU
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• I have found out a way

select @customername = customername from instered

then use @customername to fomulate the mail body. It works fine.

• Are you sure you will be getting the right data... because you were looking to send the data from deleted table where as if you use customername .. may be you will inserted data instead of deleted...

MohammedU
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• I am using after insert trigger, so definitely I am looking into Inserted table, not deleted table.  So far, I am getting the right data. I will see if any problems occur in future.

• Some people try to save old data instead of new...so that I raised the flag...

If it works then good luck...

MohammedU
    Microsoft SQL Server MVP

• Be aware that your solution won't handle cases where multiple rows are inserted in a single batch. Your trigger will only get one of the inserted rows.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply