Advise for complete Beginners

• You might want to check this out also:

http://www.ebooks-space.com/

Also new at SQL - Reporting Services

• I decided to make a career change from a receptionist with access experience to a SQL DBA in August. I am now working as a SQL Reporting Analyst for Florida Hospital as a legitamite IT person and would have know way gotten the position without attending a formal training course. I attended Set Focus through a remote desktop at my home. The website is http://www.setfocus.com. Also, I know that , depending on your location, End to End training (http://www.endtoendtraining.com/public/classes/location.aspx?locationid=8) is about to have a course. I got the email today. 🙂 Hope this helps.

• End 2 End Training are great guys. You'll learn a ton. I'm not sure who you'll be working with, but tell them Grant says hi.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Another thing you should definitely do is download a copy of SQL Server Express as well as SQL Server Books Online (highly commended, the most valuable resource of information on the product from MS), and perhaps Visual Studio Express (whichever flavour C# or VB or whatever you prefer), just to play around with the product. All of these are available for free from the MSDN web site. And of course, subscribe to the SQL Server Central newsletters. Look out for the SQL Server School Videos, they are invaluable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• I was just going to ask for online (and yes free) classes and books (not so free) to learn SQL 2008 after never using or seeing it before and y'all have already posted some great places to go. Thanks for helping us newbies out.

Rob

• Like you, I love data, and like you I went through the learning process of design and development, only to find that my real calling was data analytics. I create Access databases and crystal reports to manipulate large data sets stored in SQL to provide simple reports of useable data that supports management tasks.

With your business background you are an ideal candidate for this type of career and the starting point is knowing access, which is much easier to learn than SQL. You can build on that knowledge and learn sql on the job. Crystal Reports is another tool that can help you get through the door. You don't need to know how to create the database, just how to manipulate and report the data and find the errors - then send the findings to a developer who can program the database to restrict invalid entry.

You will learn that large datasets require manipulation in SQL, and automation of reporting in SQL makes your job much less work intensive, but most of this can be done through the creation of views and stored procedures.

I have my CISCO, MCSE and DBA certifications, but found over the years that I hate hardware and love data. I get to play with my jigsaw puzzle all day long without worries about hardware issues, connectivity issues, security etc.

Give it some thought. If nothing else data analytics can get you in the door and on your way to a development career.

Jennifer

• jennifer_l_hogan (5/6/2009)

... starting point is knowing access, which is much easier to learn than SQL.

hmm, sort of. Until you get to that whole "Why doesn't this make sense?" part, where you can do it in one but not the other. I prefer SQL. But to each their own. 🙂

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Please don't get me wrong - I love working in SQL, but for newbies trying to learn database design I think Access is easy. It is a good starting place for learning the parts and pieces - tables, views and the benefits and pitfalls of normalization. It is kind of like a tricycle - won't do many wheelies, but won't fall off either.:-)

• First, if you are willing to spend a little money, instead of downloading SQL Server Express (free) you may want to purchase SQL Server Developer Edition for about $50.00 USD. Gives you everything you would see in Enterprise Edition, just remember it is for development and testing only.

As for using Access to learn SQL, no. You want to learn SQL Server, use SQL Server.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply