Advice starting SQL Server user group in Albany NY

• Ray K (5/18/2010)

Hey Dan, anything to report on this?

Haven't heard from you in a while, so I was just wondering!

I am working through the information from Blythe. We need a meeting space although we may consider doing meetings online for a while, we need a sponsor, and we need some speakers/presenters. If you have suggestions for any of these, let me know.

• dbowlin (6/3/2010)

Ray K (5/18/2010)

I am working through the information from Blythe. We need a meeting space although we may consider doing meetings online for a while, we need a sponsor, and we need some speakers/presenters. If you have suggestions for any of these, let me know.

How big and how formal of a meeting space do you have in mind? If you're thinking about something informal, maybe we can utilize one of the local watering holes? Off the top of my head, Brown's or The Penalty Box in Troy come to mind.

If I come up with any other ideas, I'll let you know!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• dbowlin (6/3/2010)

Ray K (5/18/2010)

Have you tried local schools, specifically community colleges? The big schools want to charge for space but a local tech school is hungry for bodies & job opportunities. Just mention the free training and the possibility of placement.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (6/3/2010)

dbowlin (6/3/2010)

Ray K (5/18/2010)

Have you tried local schools, specifically community colleges? The big schools want to charge for space but a local tech school is hungry for bodies & job opportunities. Just mention the free training and the possibility of placement.

Great idea. Thanks Grant.

• Ray K (6/3/2010)

dbowlin (6/3/2010)

Ray K (5/18/2010)

How big and how formal of a meeting space do you have in mind? If you're thinking about something informal, maybe we can utilize one of the local watering holes? Off the top of my head, Brown's or The Penalty Box in Troy come to mind.

If I come up with any other ideas, I'll let you know!

I think it has to be someplace friendly to presentations. Ideally with a projector.

However, I think meetings in a more social atmosphere would be appropriate from time to time. For that a local/regional restaurant or bar would be great.

• Grant Fritchey (6/3/2010)

dbowlin (6/3/2010)

Ray K (5/18/2010)

Damn!!! I live right around the corner from a community college, and I teach part-time at a small business/tech school! Why didn't I think of that???

Dan -- if you want, I'll look into this.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• Ray K (6/3/2010)

Grant Fritchey (6/3/2010)

dbowlin (6/3/2010)

Ray K (5/18/2010)

Damn!!! I live right around the corner from a community college, and I teach part-time at a small business/tech school! Why didn't I think of that???

Thanks Ray. That would be great if you can ask a few questions to see if they are willing to supply space.

• dbowlin (6/4/2010)

Ray K (6/3/2010)

Grant Fritchey (6/3/2010)

dbowlin (6/3/2010)

Ray K (5/18/2010)

Thanks Ray. That would be great if you can ask a few questions to see if they are willing to supply space.

I spoke to the academic dean the other day. He did say that he needed to talk to some people about it, but he gave me the impression that if it was something that would interest and involve the IT students, he would be all for it.

I'll keep you posted!

• Just a thought... Would we want to start a PASS chapter for Albany? There's one for NYC, Buffalo and Rochester. Seems there should be one for Albany. This is the link to how to start a chapter: http://www.sqlpass.org/PASSChapters/BecomeAChapter.aspx

There a host of benefits that would be great. One is...

Contacts at Local Microsoft Offices

Through our partnership with Microsoft, PASS has many contacts with local Microsoft offices that chapters can utilize for support at their meetings. Local offices may allow PASS chapters to use their office space to hold various meetings.

• Was there any success in forming the local group? I am a student in Albany making a career change and would love to attend meetings to soak up as much information as I can.

• Did you start one in Albany?

Contact me I would like to start one, I have no idea how to do it, I believe we officially have to start meeting and talk of how we want to plan and run meetings. Then we offically go to PASS or sswurg.org and then we can officially register as a SQL Server User group, I think we would need a certain amount of members before we start.

jwb10@gmail.com

• jwbart06 (7/15/2011)

Did you start one in Albany?

Contact me I would like to start one, I have no idea how to do it, I believe we officially have to start meeting and talk of how we want to plan and run meetings. Then we offically go to PASS or sswurg.org and then we can officially register as a SQL Server User group, I think we would need a certain amount of members before we start.

jwb10@gmail.com

Unfortunatly I have not been able to generate enough interest to make a viable chapter. I suggest you contact PASS right away. They have some tools and advice for starting a chapter. Look at the second post in this thread, Grant Fritchey lists a contact at PASS (I am not sure she is still there) that was very helpful to me.

• Dan,

I say we meet and start our own user group, once we have a plan of attack then we can start our own PASS Chapter, I emailed Melissa the Northeast Chapters contact and see what she suggests.

I think it will be tough starting one at the beginning, but I will take the reigns and start it.

I am suggesting a meeting this week thursday(5:30pm), the Recovery Room on wolf road is good for me.

Anytime this week is good for me, let me know what night is good and a disclosed location I will be there.

I will also bring everything I found out from my resources(possible funding and meeting locations).

This message is for anyone who wants to join.

email: jwbart10@gmail.com

• jwbart06 (7/18/2011)

I am suggesting a meeting this week thursday(5:30pm)

I might be interested; however, Thursday is absolutely not good for me. Wednesday isn't great, either. Monday and Tuesday would probably be my best bets.

I haven't been to the Wolf Road Recovery Room (I'm familiar with the ones by AMC and in Troy). How is that place?

• I have only been once, but I figured it would be a good general meeting place.

It is right next to the Hanaford\Mcdonalds on Wolf road.

Never been to the one next to AMC, but I here that is why it is called the "recovery room".:hehe:

Let me know which one you want to meet at today I will be there, probably only meet for 30 minutes, we can brainstorm.

I would still be on for Thursday night as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply