Advice for cross-site clustering

• an Availability group can only have one primary read\write database, The remainder are readable secondaries!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Sorry Perry, I dropped the ball on terminology there. It will be multiple AG's, not listeners. I had it in my head that the groups were 1 to 1 with the listeners. Probably should have mentioned that.

• Ozzmodiar (1/29/2015)

Sorry Perry, I dropped the ball on terminology there. It will be multiple AG's, not listeners. I had it in my head that the groups were 1 to 1 with the listeners. Probably should have mentioned that.

So

AO grp 1 will have dbA on nodeA as primary and as secondary on nodeB-nodeF

AO grp 2 will have dbB on nodeB as primary and as secondary on nodeC-nodeF and nodeA

etc, etc

You'll need to ensure you get your ReadOnly routing scripts spot on or you may issues there with the listener not redirecting readintent connections

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Yes exactly:

AG1

--Node 01-Primary

--Node 02-Secondary, Syncronous commit.

--Node 03-Secondary, Syncronous commit.

--Node 04-Secondary, Asyncronous commit.

--Node 05-Secondary, Asyncronous commit.

--Node 06-Secondary, Asyncronous commit.

AG2

--Node 01-Secondary, Syncronous commit.

--Node 02-Primary.

--Node 03-Secondary, Syncronous commit.

--Node 04-Secondary, Asyncronous commit.

--Node 05-Secondary, Asyncronous commit.

--Node 06-Secondary, Asyncronous commit.

AG3

--Node 01-Secondary, Asyncronous commit.

--Node 02-Secondary, Asyncronous commit.

--Node 03-Secondary, Asyncronous commit.

--Node 04-Primary.

--Node 05-Secondary, Syncronous commit.

--Node 06-Secondary, Syncronous commit.

And so on.

Developing the read intent routing scripts will be a very interesting project I think; I'm not too worried about that one. It will be allocated a pretty good chunk of time in the project plan.

• check out my stairway series on this site for more info. Level 6 is due to be published soon and covers AlwaysOn Availability groups and readonly routing in detail.

Part 1 can be found here[/url].

• Thanks so much Perry!

I will certainly go through each step. I've just been told I need to pop over to our office in the EU for 2 weeks so I'll be on a flight this coming Saturday. I'll save these all to read offline on the flight.

I've set up quite a few HA AG's in my day but never anything this complex. I really appreciate the input and help you're providing.

• you're welcome

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply