Adventureworks Install Woes

• When I try to run the Adventureworks installer they give you, it blows up and says it can't install because Full Text Search isn't installed.

It is installed, and I can see the service running. (I don't know why you need it installed in the first place).

Has anyone else had this happen before and figured out how to fix it?

The Redneck DBA

• There is a .bak which I used but it is also hard to use for the standard AdventureWorks2008 because it asks for Filestream which took forever to enable. So make sure Filestream is enabled and restore the .bak.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• If you're having trouble meeting all the configuration requirements for AdventureWorks (and Gift is right), there is a Lite version that you can use. It's much easier to install. Unfortunately, it's also not as big or quite as close to a real world database design as the full Adventureworks is.

I had a hard time getting FileStream properly initialized and running, but once it was up, AdventureWorks should install pretty easily.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Thanks for the tips. Turns out I'm dense, and had the FullText service for another instance started, but not the instance I was installing on. Once I started the correct instance, it installed like a charm.

Now all I need to do is remember what I was doing yesterday that made me want to install it in the first place... 🙂

The Redneck DBA

• Been there, got the t-shirt. I'm glad it all worked out.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• I too am having woes with the AdventureWorks (.zip) install. I have installed and enabled FILESTREAM for my instance (SQLEXPRESS2008). I can verify this in SSCM.

I get this result regardless of whether I am a user signed on as administrator or using my Win XP SPIII 'ADMINISTRATOR' login system account. 😛 I was of the impression that when I installed SQLExpresws 2008, that sysadmin would include all all users with administrative rights including 'ADMINISTRATOR' login. But this might not be the case.When I use SSMSE to execute the script for the AW-OLTP db install I get an access denied exception on the following statement:

CREATE DATABASE [AdventureWorks2008]

ON (NAME = 'AdventureWorks2008_Data', FILENAME = N'$(SqlSamplesDatabasePath)AdventureWorks2008_Data.mdf', SIZE = 170, FILEGROWTH = 8),

FILEGROUP DocumentFileStreamGroup CONTAINS FILESTREAM ( NAME = FileStreamDocuments, FILENAME = N'$(SqlSamplesDatabasePath)Documents')

LOG ON (NAME = 'AdventureWorks2008_Log', FILENAME = N'$(SqlSamplesDatabasePath)AdventureWorks2008_Log.ldf' , SIZE = 2, FILEGROWTH = 96); 😉

It is producing the following error: :w00t:

*** Creating Database

Msg 5120, Level 16, State 106, Line 2

Unable to open the physical file "I:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.SQLEXPRESS2008\MSSQL\DATA\Documents". Operating system error -2147024891: "0x80070005(Access is denied.)".

** An error was encountered during execution of batch. Exiting.

Can someone help with a laymans explanation of why this ocurrs and how to correct the environment to help complete the install? Anyone who can help unclog the fog, would be a new friend 🙂 and mentor.

Thanks in advance . . .

Tomj

Kindest Regards,

Thomas Johnson
    A+, MCP, MCSD .Net, C#
    Pray to the one who scraficed for you

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply