ADHOC suddenly taking a long time

• I have a system I regularly profile for queries taking longer than 2 seconds recently out of the blue there has been a change in the longest running queries. A new query has turned up I hadn’t seen before, there haven’t been any changes to the schema etc so this query has always been there but has taken less than 2 seconds and happened regularly through out the day. THIS QUERY IS ADHOC.

If I ran this in QA it take a minute + for the first run then a second subsequent runs. But as this is an ADOC I guessing the execution plan is never saved so if a where clause value changes it will re do the execution plan?

Buffer cache is also fine.

What could cause this query to suddenly get so bad?

Many thanks

• Have you had any recent data changes as in large amounts of updates or inserts?

I would check the stats on the indexes in that query

----------------------------------------------
    Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. - Thomas Henry Huxley

:w00t:
    Posting Best Practices[/url]
    Numbers / Tally Tables[/url]

SQL-4-Life
  • No large data updates, Also the query runs in under a second when they exuction plan has been worked out.

• Is the plan the same or different?

Could you post the plan for sum of us to look at?

----------------------------------------------
    Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. - Thomas Henry Huxley

:w00t:
    Posting Best Practices[/url]
    Numbers / Tally Tables[/url]

SQL-4-Life
  • Christopher Stobbs (11/10/2008)

Is the plan the same or different?

Could you post the plan for sum of us to look at?

|--Filter(WHERE:(([prvsp].[PROCA_REFNO]=202052 AND [prvsp].[DISCH_DTTM]<>NULL) AND isnull([prvsp].[ARCHV_FLAG], 'N')='N'))

|--Bookmark Lookup(BOOKMARK:([Bmk1001]), OBJECT:([blurrr].[dbo].[PROVIDER_SPELLS] AS [prvsp]))

|--Nested Loops(Inner Join, OUTER REFERENCES:([prcae].[PRVSP_REFNO]))

|--Filter(WHERE:(isnull([prcae].[ARCHV_FLAG], 'N')='N'))

| |--Bookmark Lookup(BOOKMARK:([Bmk1002]), OBJECT:([blurrr].[dbo].[PROF_CARER_EPISODES] AS [prcae]))

| |--Nested Loops(Inner Join, OUTER REFERENCES:([dgpro].[SORCE_REFNO]))

| |--Filter(WHERE:([dgpro].[DPTYP_CODE]='PROCE' AND isnull([dgpro].[ARCHV_FLAG], 'N')='N'))

| | |--Bookmark Lookup(BOOKMARK:([Bmk1000]), OBJECT:([blurrr].[dbo].[DIAGNOSIS_PROCEDURES] AS [dgpro]) WITH PREFETCH)

| | |--Hash Match(Inner Join, HASH:([Bmk1000])=([Bmk1000]), RESIDUAL:([Bmk1000]=[Bmk1000]))

| | |--Index Seek(OBJECT:([blurrr].[dbo].[DIAGNOSIS_PROCEDURES].[FK_DGPRO_PROCA] AS [dgpro]), SEEK:([dgpro].[PROCA_REFNO]=202052), WHERE:([dgpro].[SORCE_CODE]='PRCAE') ORDERED FORWARD)

| | |--Index Seek(OBJECT:([blurrr].[dbo].[DIAGNOSIS_PROCEDURES].[FK_DGPRO_ODPCD] AS [dgpro]), SEEK:([dgpro].[ODPCD_REFNO]=42517), WHERE:([dgpro].[SORCE_CODE]='PRCAE') ORDERED FORWARD)

| |--Index Seek(OBJECT:([blurrr].[dbo].[PROF_CARER_EPISODES].[CPK_PROF_CARER_EPISODES] AS [prcae]), SEEK:([prcae].[PRCAE_REFNO]=[dgpro].[SORCE_REFNO]) ORDERED FORWARD)

|--Index Seek(OBJECT:([blurrr].[dbo].[PROVIDER_SPELLS].[CPK_PROVIDER_SPELLS] AS [prvsp]), SEEK:([prvsp].[PRVSP_REFNO]=[prcae].[PRVSP_REFNO]) ORDERED FORWARD)

• Erm you might want to copy and paste to notepad

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply