Adding hebrew or arabic in the same column as enlgish.

• Hi,

I am trying to add a Hebrew (or Arabic) mixed with English sentence into a column.

I am copying the sentence from Word 2007 and pasting it into SQL Server 2005.

The sentence is in order until I paste into SQL Server 2005.

The query windows doesn't seem to know how to handle two languages with different Reading Order.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in andvance.

• Hi

Just tried and works:

DECLARE @t TABLE

(

Id INT NOT NULL IDENTITY,

Country NVARCHAR(100),

PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED

(Id)

)

INSERT INTO @t

SELECT N'Germany'

UNION ALL SELECT N'Deutschland'

UNION ALL SELECT N'???????'

SELECT *

FROM @t

WHERE Country IN (N'Germany', N'Deutschland', N'???????')

Important

Because you try to insert Unicode data you have to use the "N" for a Unicode string

Greets

Flo

• Thanks for the response Flo.

What I am trying to do is put a herbrew (or arabic) mixed with english text into a coloumn.

I have a Word document with a sentence that has herbrew and english words in it.

Ex. ???????? ?? ????? ????????, ??????? ?? TEST ???? ???? ?? ????? ???? ???? ?????? ?????

When I copy it from Word and paste it into the query window of SQL 2005 I get:

???? ???? ?? ????? ???? ???? ?????? ????? TEST ???????? ?? ????? ????????, ??????? ??

The text flips! 🙁

I also installed hebrew and arabic languages on my computer.

I seems that when I copy straight hebrew or straight arabic into the query window it comes out ok...but when a sentence has english in it, it flips the text.

any other suggestions?

• P.S. I am using the N infront of my single quotes. I think my issue is mixing languages with different reading orders. rtl vs ltr

• Hi

I misunderstood your initial post. I just tried and can reproduce the same error. Sorry I have no other suggestions. Maybe somebody else can help.

Best wishes

Flo

• Thank you for you time Flo.

• Does it have to be pasted in an entire string, or can it be constructed? Something like:

DECLARE @Text nvarchar(255)

SET @Text = N'???????? ?? ????? ????????, ??????? ??' + N' TEST ' + N'???? ???? ?? ????? ???? ???? ?????? ?????'

PRINT @Text

• There are two ways you could fix this because both Arabic and Hebrew are right to left languages so create a test database with Hebrew or Arabic and add your text take either a table or just the column of that database and add it to your existing database. I have an ASPNETDB with Hebrew collation so create a database collation choose Hebrew and then add a table and columns then your text, if you are still having problem do the same with Arabic. One of both languages will take all three.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply