Adding column if not exist with value

• Hi all, using the below, how do I set the DBVersion to 1 with this line, if the column DBVersion exist I don't want to change the number but if it doesn't exist I want to create it and have DBVersion set to 1

if not exists (select * from syscolumns where id=object_id('ConfigTB') and name='DBVersion') alter table ConfigTB add DBVersion INT

Thanks

• if not exists

(select * from syscolumns where id=object_id('ConfigTB') and name='DBVersion')

alter table ConfigTB add DBVersion int DEFAULT '1' NOT NULL

Any problem with this method?

• First, you should use sys.columns, not syscolumns. Next you should name your constraints:

if not exists (select * from sys.columns where object_id=object_id('ConfigTB') and name='DBVersion')

alter table ConfigTB add DBVersion int CONSTRAINT def_DBVersion DEFAULT 1 NOT NULL

Also, observe that since this is an int column the default value should not be in quotes, because it is not a string.

If you don't want this constraint once the column has been added, just drop the constraint. Which is easy when you named it.

[font="Times New Roman"]Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, www.sommarskog.se[/font]

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply