add string(static) + integer(auto-increment) to a field

• I need to assign a seed number to a field which is something like this format: ABCD1234. Here, ABCD is going to be static 1 will be added to 1234 each time there is an entry in the database. In order to set a field as auto increment by 1, it has to be an integer datatype right? I want to store this data (ABCD1234) into one field so this can be used in various reports as if needed. What would be the best way to do this?

I will be getting a list of data that will have these seed numbers. In order my app to start creating new seed number, I would have to get the latest one (SELECT MAX(FieldName)) and then add 1 so I can keep incrementing this seed number by 1. The problem is the existing data will already have ABCD attached to the number...could use a substring function to get the digits after ABCD and then add 1 to it and store the new seed number. I don't know if there is a nice and easy way to do this. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• Taking you literally:

SET NOCOUNT ON;

GO

CREATE TABLE dbo.A (id INT IDENTITY PRIMARY KEY, silly_key AS 'ABCD' + CONVERT(VARCHAR(15), id))

GO

INSERT dbo.A DEFAULT VALUES;

GO 100

SELECT *

FROM dbo.A;

GO

DROP TABLE dbo.A

But...why? Why would you do this?

Paul

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply