Add New Component to existing install

• We have a SQL Server 2005 SP2(3161) install. It has been decided that we need to replicate to thisserver, so I need to install the Replication components. According to BOL, I went to Add\Remove Programs in Control Panel, select my SQL Server 2005 and clicked Change. On the 'Component Selection' screen, there is a link 'To install a new component, click here'. After clicking this link, it asked for the location of the Setup.exe. It then started the Installer. After selecting the SQL Server Database services on the Components to install screen, I selected the Advances button. On the Feature Selection screen, I found I could not select only the Replication component, I had to select the Database Services. After continuing to the Instance Name screen and clicking next, I got the Existing Components screen. When I clicked Details, I was told my upgrade was blocked because components of a later version were already installed. How can I install only the Replication component on an existing install? Do I have to uninstall\reinstall the entire SQL Server 2005?

• Does anyone have an answer to this? This server is not production yet, but is scheduled to go live next month. I really need to get the replication working.

Brian Brown (10/11/2007)

We have a SQL Server 2005 SP2(3161) install. It has been decided that we need to replicate to thisserver, so I need to install the Replication components. According to BOL, I went to Add\Remove Programs in Control Panel, select my SQL Server 2005 and clicked Change. On the 'Component Selection' screen, there is a link 'To install a new component, click here'. After clicking this link, it asked for the location of the Setup.exe. It then started the Installer. After selecting the SQL Server Database services on the Components to install screen, I selected the Advances button. On the Feature Selection screen, I found I could not select only the Replication component, I had to select the Database Services. After continuing to the Instance Name screen and clicking next, I got the Existing Components screen. When I clicked Details, I was told my upgrade was blocked because components of a later version were already installed. How can I install only the Replication component on an existing install? Do I have to uninstall\reinstall the entire SQL Server 2005?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply