Add Linked Server Nightmare

• I have a user called DOM\my_sysadmin that is part of the sysadmin fixed server role.

I run the following and it works great:

EXECUTE AS LOGIN = 'DOM\my_sysadmin'

EXEC master.sys.sp_addlinkedserver @server = N'ServerA', @srvproduct=N'SQL Server'

GO

I have created a procedure that uses a table (dbo.SQL_Servers) populated with server names.

CREATE TABLE dbo.SQL_Servers(

server_name varchar(128))

GO

INSERT INTO dbo.SQL_Servers

VALUES('ServerA')

GO

If a server name in the table is not a linked server on the current server, I want to add it. When I run the procedure, I get error # 15247 for error_procedure "sp_msaddserver_internal" that states, "User does not have permission to perform this action". Here is a sample of the code:

CREATE PROC dbo.add_new_server

WITH EXECUTE AS 'DOM\my_sysadmin'

AS

DECLARE @server_namevarchar(128)

DECLARE server_cursor CURSOR FAST_FORWARD FOR

SELECT server_name

FROM dbo.SQL_Servers

WHERE Server_Name NOT IN (SELECT name

FROM sys.servers)

OPEN server_cursor

FETCH NEXT FROM server_cursor INTO @server_name

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

EXEC master.sys.sp_addlinkedserver @server = @server_name, @srvproduct=N'SQL Server'

FETCH NEXT FROM server_cursor INTO @server_name

END

CLOSE server_cursor

DEALLOCATE server_cursor

I have even used the suser_name() function, in both cases, to verify that the command is running as DOM\my_sysadmin and it is. This works fine when I run it as myself (I'm also a sysadmin).

Any ideas why this is not working?

Thanks,

hawg

----------------------------------------------------------

01010011010100010100110000100000010100110110010101110010011101100110010101110010

• Verify that user 'DOM\my_sysadmin' is associated with Login 'DOM\my_sysadmin' in database in which sp is executing.

• I think what is happening is that the stroed procedure is executing as the SysAdmin user but when it executes anything with the exec command it opens a new connection that defaults back to the original logins permissions. You could use Profiler to confirm that.

Instead of doing the aliasing inside the procedure, alias the login before calling the procedure and then it should work fine.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply