Actual SQL Server Memory Usgage

• I have a sql server 2008 64bit and windows 2008r2 64 bit and i have 8gb memory

and i set the max to 6gb and i see sql server always using 6gb as expected but how

do i know how much it is actually using...

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

• The perfmon counter SQL Server:Memory Manager:Total Server Memory(KB) will tell you exactly how much memory SQL is using.

• But in this case i am seeing both Total and Target same.

What ever the max memory is set to...

I want to know..if it's having pressure...

Thanks,

• To assess memory pressure you need to look at SQL Server:Buffer Manager and the counters

Buffer Cache Hit Ratio (should be > 90) This is the % of pages in memory without reading from disk.

Page Life Expectancy (should be > 300) This is the number of seconds pages stay in memory before being flushed to disk.

These are just a couple to get you going.

• chinn (6/3/2011)

I have a sql server 2008 64bit and windows 2008r2 64 bit and i have 8gb memory

and i set the max to 6gb and i see sql server always using 6gb as expected but how

do i know how much it is actually using...

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

Look the past discussion

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic702953-360-1.aspx

Muthukkumaran Kaliyamoorthy
    https://www.sqlserverblogforum.com/

• Thanks Everybody ..on this.

But my question is .

If somebody comes to me and asks how much memory SQL Server is actually using out of the allocated how would i answer that...

Thanks....

• Hi,

To see the real memory used by sql server it is enough to execute (on master db):

select * from sys.sysperfinfo

where counter_name like '%Total Server Memory (KB)%'

and if this server is dedicated to SQL server so you can assign 7 GB to SQL leaving 1 GB to the Operating system.

Regards,

Nesma Mounir

http://nesmamounir.wordpress.com/

• chinn (6/4/2011)

But my question is .

If somebody comes to me and asks how much memory SQL Server is actually using out of the allocated how would i answer that...

JeremyE (6/3/2011)

The perfmon counter SQL Server:Memory Manager:Total Server Memory(KB) will tell you exactly how much memory SQL is using.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Total Server Mem and Target Server Mem are almost the same thing..Does it mean it's using 6gb and it needs more...

thanks....

• Means it wants 6GB and it has 6GB.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I 'wd worry about a possible memory pressure if Target Server memory is more than Total Server memory, Page life expectancy is less than say 200 and buffer cache hit ratio < 90%.

I 'wd trend on Memory Grants Pending and pages/sec to see the trend on memory pressure.

By design, SQL will use up as much memory as it can within the allocation. If you are going to allocate 7GB then you 'll see it is using the extra 1GB after some time. So don't worry about it unless you see any symptoms of memory pressure. To check current memory status you can use

DBCC MEMORYSTATUS.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply