Active-Active or active-passive

• Is anyone that active-active setup perform better or active-passive perform better.

I'm setting up a new SQL 2000 cluster on a 8-way, 8GB server. This system is transactional during the date (approx. 500tps) and batch during the night (800+ tps). Currently, system had 2 DB (each apprx. 20+ GB) and will grow to 4 DB by year end.  Each DB are same just serving different clients. Most of the SQL are using SP (3000+).  Should I set-up active-atcive each host 2 DBs or should I have active-passive let SQL handle everything. which one make more sense ?

The H/W is on fiber with 2 external cage and 2 controller on the cage.

Thanks,

• Using Active-Passive, only one of your SQL box will be used. The other is only used when the primary fails. For Active-Active, you cannot send updates to two SQLs at the same time or you will get data inconsistency.

What do you really want to accomplish? Fault tolerance, load balance or both? Are two SQLs taking similar loads for two different applications at this time? Are you going to merge them into a single service? It was not clear from your posting.

• Are each of your databases "self contained". By that I mean if you were to put each of your databases on two different servers, would the applications work just as well. If that were the case, then I would suggest active/active, so you can get better resource utilization. As you get more databases you can balance them on the servers. One key here is that you should not use more than 50% of resources on any one system, since during the fail over both your sql server dbs would be running on one system. Also bear in mind that there is no "load balancing" either way. All you have is high availability.

• Thanks, for all your reply. Our goal is try to maximized the throughput. The databases are all same but serving different clients Apps should works in both situation.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply