accessing sql server in workgroup using windows authentication

• I am having two pc where sql 2008 is installed with security mode windows authentication.these are my normal workgroup pc.

I login as administrator in PC1.From PC1 I want access sql server ssms on PC2 with same windows account that is administrator account.I get error.PC2 ia also using windows authentication mode.What should i do?

• Im assuming by your use of the word "workgroup" that you mean your not on a domain, and not the sql version your using?

If so, you need to create a local windows user on each machine and set the same password on both sides. Then if you try the connection it should work (assuming machine A can actually see machine B - a ping will show this at a basic level)

If you want to use administrator then you will need to set the same admin password on the machine B.

• Thanks for your reply but half the problem is solved

I am log shipping from pc1 to pc2 as

an pc1\administrator and having same password on the machine still restore configuration gives error as below:

here ls1 is shared name of my primarybackup directory on pc1

writes are given as everyone full control.

Error:

Cannot open backup device '\\pc1\ls1\PracDB.bak'. Operating system error 5(Access is denied.).

RESTORE FILELIST is terminating abnormally. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 3201)

Please give me solution?

Thanks in advance

• sej2008 (10/13/2012)

Thanks for your reply but half the problem is solved

I am log shipping from pc1 to pc2 as

an pc1\administrator and having same password on the machine still restore configuration gives error as below:

here ls1 is shared name of my primarybackup directory on pc1

writes are given as everyone full control.

Error:

Cannot open backup device '\\pc1\ls1\PracDB.bak'. Operating system error 5(Access is denied.).

RESTORE FILELIST is terminating abnormally. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 3201)

Please give me solution?

Thanks in advance

See my article at this link[/url] for more info

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply