Accessing SQL instance remotely

• Hi All,

A while ago, I  set up sql server on a cluster on our internal network for web \ application \ intranet usage, and all is working well.  I also created a staging instance at the same time for, erm, staging stuff.  The name of the default instance is asl-vsql and the named instance is asl-vsql-stg\stg.

I need to allow a remote developer access through our firewall to both servers.  This is easy for the default instance (I have put his fixed IP address in our firewall, and NAT'd it through to our internal sql IP.  But, I can't find a way to give him access to the named instance as we can't (of course) put something like 10.40.50.60\stg into our firewall config.

I have played with client aliases, but as they are 'Client' aliases and not 'Server' aliases which don't appear to exist, they can't help me.

Can anyone help me with this pleeeease?

Thanks in advance,

Martin

• Check your named instance......it will be using a different port. You need to make sure that port is open.

-SQLBill

• Thanks for your reply, Bill.

The problem isn't so much with the sql instance, as with the firewall - it effectively needs to make an external IP address available of, say, 123.45.67.89 and NAT it to the internal ip address of the sql named instance - 10.40.50.60\stg.

However, the firewall can only accept the IP address and not the named instance bit.

What I need is a way to make the sql named instance available on the internal network with just the IP address, and not the \stg bit, so the firewall can NAT the external address of 123.45.67.89 to 10.40.50.60.

Is this possible?

Thanks again,

Martin

• You just open it to the IP address. That will give the user the ability to access any database on that server. You should be able to do it in conjunction with the port number. For example: 123.45.67.89:1433. I'm not up enough on firewalls, but I believe you can do that.

-SQLBill

• Or for a bit more safety, and if your firewall supports this, set up a VPN to get the remote developer into your network and then only allow him access to that server. 

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Hi Bill,

I think the penny just dropped and I understand what you mean.  I will try this when I am back at work next week.

Kind regards,

Martin

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply