Access forms talking to SQL Server

• Hi all,

I have a horrible feeling this will have a simple answer which will make me look like an utter boob. I'm working with a SQL Server 2005 db which has been upsized from an old Access db. A number of new tables have been added after the upsizing. My problem is this: I use a front end built with Access forms to enter data, but I'm only able to amend the old tables. When I try to edit data in the new tables, the forms open, data displays, but it's read only. Have I missed something?

Again, apologies in advance if this is simple!

• More often than not, this is caused by Access not being able to tell what constitutes the Primary Key of the new "linked tables".

Try opening the linked table objects on the Tables tab of your Access DB. If they are also read only, drop the linked table object, and then reattach them. You should be prompted to supply which fields consitute a UNIQUE value: supply them. Note that if you define the primary keys in the tables in SQL Server, they should automatically get picked up when you link the tables in Access.

As a secondary thought - make sure that no boolean fields (bit fields on SQL Server) are nullable, and assign them a default value (booleans can't be null, so Access acts very badly if it FINDS one).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Solved! Primary Key (or lack thereof) was indeed the issue. Thanks for your speedy help!

• Thanks for the feedback - you're welcome:)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply