Access denied after OS Disk upgrade!?

• I recently had to upgrade my WIN-XP SP2 OS harddrive. I am now getting the following error message when I attemp to start MSSQL 2000 Developer edition through Enterprise Manager or Query Analyzer: "A connection could not be established to (LOCAL) Reason:SQL Server does not exist or access denied. ConnectionOpen (Connect()).. Please verify SQL Server is running and check your SQL Server registration properties ( by righ-clicking on the (LOCAL) node) and try again." When I take the suggested approach of right-clicking, I get the same message because he cannot connect!!?

When I go to Admin Tools>Computer Management>Services and Applications>Services>MSSQLSERVER>Start, the service starts but then issues the message:THE MSSQLSERVER SERVICE ON LOCAL COMPUTER STARTED AND STOPPED. sOME SERVICES STOP AUTOMATICALLY IF THEY HAVE NO WORK TO DO, FOR EXAMPLE, THE PERFORMANCE LOGS AND ALERTS SERVICE. And its back to square #1.

Can someone help? Thanks in advance

Tom Johnson A+, MCP, MCSD .NET

Kindest Regards,

Thomas Johnson
    A+, MCP, MCSD .Net, C#
    Pray to the one who scraficed for you

• Did you format your new disk as basic or dynamic.  If you used dynamic you may need to set the Bypass Traverse Checking right.

Either way, hopefully you will have checked your SQL disk partitions still have the same drive letters...

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply