Access denied

• I need to move data from my test envirnoment in a MS SQL Server 2000 database to a staging envirnoment, also a MS SQL Server 2000 database. I created a linked server and tried to use import, export, and insert command, but both failed. I get an Access Denied error.

Does anyone know why I would receive this message, and how I can fix it?

Thanks

• soofy21 (4/18/2009)

I need to move data from my test envirnoment in a MS SQL Server 2000 database to a staging envirnoment, also a MS SQL Server 2000 database. I created a linked server and tried to use import, export, and insert command, but both failed. I get an Access Denied error.

Does anyone know why I would receive this message, and how I can fix it?

Thanks

Do you have the required permissions. The easiest way is to go for backup and restore method? What permissions have you got on both the servers?

• Hi Krishna,

Yes, I have the required permission. I used my domain login and also I tried with my SQL Login. I have to transfer only few tables and not the entire database, so I can't do backup and restore.

Thanks,

Soofy

• Could you post the exact error for me please?

• Here it is-

ERROR CODE: Microsoft OLE DB provider for SQL Server

ERROR DESCRIPTION: [DEBNITLIB] Connection open (connect)) SQL Server doesn’t exist or access denied

Context: Error during the initialization of SQL SERVER

Thanks,

• soofy21 (4/19/2009)

Hi Krishna,

Yes, I have the required permission. I used my domain login and also I tried with my SQL Login. I have to transfer only few tables and not the entire database, so I can't do backup and restore.

Thanks,

Soofy

sounds like a job for dts or possibly bcp.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• That error means you can't connect. It could be the server is down or you cannot connect from the machine you're trying to connect.

If you use SSMS, can you connect directly to both servers to administer them?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply