Access ADP and updating records

• I'm working on my first ADP with SQL Server, I'm familiar with using Access JET databases and I have a form where I would like to populate some bound text boxes using VB code based on a value the user selects with a combo box.

If I were just creating an access database I'd probably have something like this as the AfterUpdate event for the combo box:

Set rsCustomers = New ADODB.Recordset

rstrsCustomers.CursorLocation = adUseClient

rstrsCustomers.Open "SELECT * FROM Customers WHERE CustomerID ='" & Me!Combo1 & "';", CurrentProject.Connection, adOpenStatic

If Not rsCustomers.EOF Then

Me!CustomerName = rsCustomers!CustomerName

Me!CustomerTelephone = rsCustomers!CustomerTelephone

End If

rsCustomers.Close

Is this still OK for use in an ADP, I mean I know it works OK but is it the best way or should I be constructing and executing SQL or would using a stored procedure be more efficient ?

Regards,

Steve

• Whether you are working with an mdb or adp, I believe the most efficient means of doing this would be having some extra columns (possibly hidden, ie width=0) in the combo box.  For example, if you have Cust ID as the 1st, Name as the 2nd, and Phone as the 3rd then something like:

Set ctl = Me!Combo1 

Me!CustomerName  = Nz(ctl.Column(1))

Me!CustomerPhone  = Nz(ctl.Column(2))

will do the trick without having to make another database call at all.  But if you are going to go out to the database, I believe a stored procedure would do it more efficiently, but with a small table/application, I doubt you would see any real difference.

Dick

• stored procs are my prefered method. and if i were you i would desist from using select * and actually include the columns that i want to see in the query because you are adding unnecessary overhead to process

Everything you can imagine is real.

• Thanks for the good advice guys.

Regards,

Steve

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply