Access ADP

• Hi All,

I am new to ADP style databases and am wondering if it is possible for end users to manually insert records from an ADP style database as they would in a regular Access database that has linked tables. I have created a test ADP database using the database owner in the connection properties, yet the Insert New Record option seems to be disabled when the table is opened.

On the Advanced tab I cant seem to change any properties. Have I missed something or am I doing this wrong?

Thanks in Advance,

Terry Pino

• Try to make records unique.

I had similar case, a unique index in source table killed the problem.

• Another thing you may need to research are indexes and keys.  I seem to remember something about not being able to insert records unless there was a key.

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• I tried to import data into ADP before.  What version are you running.  I was told by ADP they do not support or allow updates to thier tables.  Contact your ADP rep for support.

• He is talking about Access Data Project...

First, a user should never, not for any reason, have access to or be entering data into a table directly.  Design forms and do all of the data entry through them.

Second, proper design, especially in providing primary keys for all tables is essential.

• I agree totally that a user shouldnt have access to the tables....in most cases. However, I'm looking for a better way to support our advanced users in the finance team. Currently alot of work they do is via your traditional Access databases. In other words the tables are linked via odbc. Sometimes I have to write scripts in the access databases using VBA for advanced data manipulation according to the business rules specified. Im investigating using ADP so I can write stored procedures instead of VBA scripts. The problem with VBA scripts is that one Access database will be distributed to a few people, then suddenly the code will change and god knows whos got a copy.

The one thing I don't really like about Access ADP style databases(so far) is that there does not seem to be a query interface to allow the users to create adhoc queries.

Should have been a bit more specific in my original posting about what I was doing...I guess you sort of figure it out along the way sometimes;-)

If anyone has gone down this path, I'd love to hear more.

Regards,

Terry Pino

• An ADP is not for adhoc queries.  And, I stand by my assertion that no one should ever have direct access to the tables, period. 

Distributing the application to multiple users is simple.  You have a batch file they run on demand that copies the prgram to their computer and then starts the program.

It sounds like you need to get with your users and see what they are querying and then create the views for it and then create the forms that will allow them to pass criteria to stored procedures and get their results.

And, remember, you can still call a stored procedure from an MDB, there is not compelling reason to use an ADP in your case.

• Everyone is entitled to their opinion I guess. When you have a group of power users who may want to do one thing one week, then another the next its not always possible to build interfaces...unless of course you are living in a perfect world where management throw money at every idea...yeah right.

Thanks for the tips all. The solution was to create a unique key on the table. Much like the requirement when creating a linked table in the traditional Access database.

Regards,

Terry Pino

• Terry

Does the user on the SQL Server connection have the rights to update the table in question?

Rights in an ADP are managed in the SQL Server.

P.

• note...7 year old thread

🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply